Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
About The Role
We are seeking a dynamic and collaborative team player to join our CMC Group's chemical development team. The candidate will focus on internal development of synthetic processes and purification systems to manufacture IND-enabling toxicology studies, while also partnering with external development partners on the cGMP manufacture of drug substances for clinical applications. In addition, the successful candidate will play a key role in collaborating with MedChem and Analytical teams and maintaining various equipment in our process development lab.
This role offers the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, science-driven research environment focused on developing manufacturing processes for an entirely new therapeutic modality. As part of the team responsible for defining and characterizing tRNA molecules, you will play a critical role in ensuring that we understand how our manufacturing processes perform on scale-up and manufacture quality products for our clinical programs. We operate in an open and inclusive learning environment, seeking nimble thinkers who can chart courses and plan experiments based on the data that we generate together. Flagship companies are known for tackling difficult manufacturing challenges and developing innovative solutions to manufacture complex products. Could you see yourself driving the science and engineering in this open space?
- Develop processes for the synthesis of oligonucleotide drug substances and novel building blocks. Collaborate with senior team members to design, characterize, and execute process development and scale-up to enhance in-house synthesis capabilities.
- Collaborate with downstream purification and analytical teams to develop tRNA manufacturing processes and ensure drug substance supply for pre-clinical development.
- Support cross functional teams to transfer drug substance processes from/to manufacturing partners (CMOs) including providing on-site technical support and troubleshooting during scale-up.
- Working closely with Senior team members to support chemical development projects with internal/external collaborators, driving innovative synthetic processes, novel building blocks/raw material manufacture, and efficient purification processes.
- Instrument maintenance for automated reactors and oligonucleotide synthesizers. Maintain safe laboratory environment and operation procedures on a daily basis.
- Contribute to recruiting and growth of a team of scientists/engineers to develop synthetic and purification oligonucleotide manufacturing processes.
- Report and present project progress to senior team members in a timely manner.
Qualifications and Skills
- PhD. in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, or a related discipline. Related industry experience is a plus. MS in a similar discipline with 3+ years or BS in a similar discipline with 5+ years of industry experience in process chemistry, chemical development, or manufacturing for biopharmaceutical applications.
- Experience with solid-phase synthesis and purification of oligonucleotides. Familiar with oligonucleotide synthesizers (Mermade, Dr. Oligo, AKTA oligosynt, Oligo pilot or equivalent). Familiar with typical organic synthesis laboratory equipment including reactors of various sizes (10 mL to 1L) and analytical instrumentations (HPLC, UPLC, LC/MS, NMR, etc.)
- Experience with cGMP manufacture as well as regulatory compliance is a plus.
- Experience using analytical characterization of impurity profiles, reaction dynamics, and design of experiments modeling (DOE) to support process development for pharmaceutical products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with emphasis on effective presentations and publications. A proficient team player in a matrix team environment.
- Highly skilled in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other tools. Knowledge of statistical software and applications for design of experiments and process modeling.
What We’ll Offer You
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, paid time off, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and fully covered parking/commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participation in an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to restore disrupted protein production, regardless of target, for thousands of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation.
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Our Core Values
- PATIENTS DESERVE BETTER. We are transforming medicine, boldly building a new future for patients.
- CURIOSITY SPARKS DISCOVERY. We ardently explore the unknown, catalyzing new scientific breakthroughs.
- COURAGE PROPELS US FORWARD. We take thoughtful risks without fear of failure, growing with each experience.
- OUR PURPOSE FUELS US. We each lead and work with focus and passion to design groundbreaking tRNA medicines.
- WE ARE ONE TEAM. We are united on trust and collaboration, embracing all voices and experiences.