Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
About The Role
Alltrna is seeking a passionate and highly motivated Principal Scientist with a strong in vivo pharmacology background. Come join a creative and collaborative team of scientists dedicated to leveraging emerging insights in tRNA biology to develop novel classes of RNA therapeutics to treat human diseases and improve human health. In this role you will play a critical role in the In Vivo Pharmacology & Disease Models team and work closely with internal and external partners to enable identification of multiple drug candidates for human clinical studies. Please apply if you feel that you can contribute to growing our team and advance our mission.
- Key contributor in building and developing the In Vivo Pharmacology team and infrastructure to supports tRNA-based drug discovery and preclinical development, with a longer-term goal of enabling clinical studies and regulatory approvals
- Responsible for the planning, design, oversight, and implementation of in vivo pharmacology strategies to support Alltrna’s discovery and development programs
- Design and drive the execution of PK/PD/Efficacy studies in a wide range of preclinical disease models to define pharmacodynamic biomarkers, exposure response relationships and determine appropriate dosing regimens
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with external partners, clinical and academic collaborators, and CROs. Design, contract and manage studies at CROs to deliver high-quality in vitro and in vivo pharmacology data packages
- Develop in vitro and ex vivo assays for the identification and quantification biomarkers in biological matrices, cells, and nonclinical and clinical samples
- Provide thorough and timely assessments and updates to project team to ensure efficient communication and seamless cross-functional collaboration. Take on leadership of new projects and act as a point of accountability
- Help build and develop in house facility and capability to test drug efficacy in rodent models of disease and test pipeline oligonucleotide-based molecule to establish proof-of-concept and understand mechanism of action
- Be a strong advocate of company culture and inspire team members to deliver their best individual potential. Be a role model for the team and act positively to influence the broader organization
Qualifications and Skills
- PhD in pharmacology, biology, or related field of study with minimum of 6-8 years of in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry experience working on multifunctional project team
- Deep understanding of pharmacology, with a track record of defining key experiments and developing robust and relevant animal model across several therapeutic areas to rapidly drive programs to go/no go decision points
- Expert knowledge of the drug discovery process, from target validation through development of drug candidates for clinical development. Key attributes include extensive hand-on experience in evaluating In Vivo efficacy, safety, and PK/PD properties in multiple disease indications
- Experience designing, developing, and characterizing genetically engineered and humanized mouse models
- Working knowledge of bioanalytical methods for quantitative assessment of PD biomarker in various tissues and biological matrixes
- Established ability to (1) identify suitable and relevant contract research organizations for each aspect of pharmacology assessment, conduct due diligence assessment, and contract execution; (2) collaboratively develop study protocols; (3) establish working relationships and effective communication with consultants, study directors and CRO management; (4) ensure timely and comprehensive communication and information capture and exchange
- Expert knowledge in data spreadsheets (Excel) and GraphPad Prism to generate graphic illustrations of data received from CRO to support internal reports and regulatory submissions
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to accuracy and detail, and the ability to handle multiple projects in parallel
- Established and demonstrated ability of clear and concise written communication
- Prior management experience of junior scientists and demonstrated ability to lead R&D projects in matrixed environments
The preferred candidate will ideally also possess the following skills:
- Broad disease-related experience with firsthand knowledge of nucleic acid-based therapeutics
What We’ll Offer You
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, paid time off, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and fully covered parking/commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participation in an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to restore disrupted protein production, regardless of target, for thousands of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation.
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
- Be part of the team that writes the playbook for developing tRNA molecules and you will be critical not only in ensuring that we can understand how our formulations perform in living systems but also in defining how we manufacture for our clinical programs.
- Daily on-site snacks, cold brew coffee, and Bevi, as well as weekly catered lunches.
- PATIENTS DESERVE BETTER. We are transforming medicine, boldly building a new future for patients.
- CURIOSITY SPARKS DISCOVERY. We ardently explore the unknown, catalyzing new scientific breakthroughs.
- COURAGE PROPELS US FORWARD. We take thoughtful risks without fear of failure, growing with each experience.
- OUR PURPOSE FUELS US. We each lead and work with focus and passion to design groundbreaking tRNA medicines.
- WE ARE ONE TEAM. We are united on trust and collaboration, embracing all voices and experiences.
WE GIVE IT OUR ALL, EVERYDAY, FOR PATIENTS EVERYWHERE. WE ARE ALLTRNA.