Director/Senior Director of Finance Operations
Who we are
Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
We are seeking an experienced, talented, hands-on senior finance professional, and systems-thinker to build the financial team and infrastructure to support the growth and scaling of our Company. This position will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer and will collaborate with all functions of the organization and with Flagship Pioneering to develop and implement the policies, processes and systems to enable our business plans with meaningful and accurate financial information and strong financial controls.
- Hire, train, manage and develop a lean and nimble team; responsible for all related personnel activities
- Research, select and implement the necessary technological tools to support finance and accounting activities
- Responsible for all aspects of the financial close process, including GAAP compliance and coordinating across key functional areas to ensure proper input into the close process.
- Manage operational accounting functions (purchasing, accounts, payable, payroll, equity administration, general ledger)
- Responsible for treasury and tax related activities including banking, cash management, risk management/insurance and tax compliance filings
- Compile relevant financial information and presentations for internal (BOD, management) and external (lender, investors, partners) stakeholders, including meaningful data visualization as needed
- Lead interactions with independent auditors and advisors (valuation, tax)
- Design and operationalize an internal control framework that is appropriate for the stage of the company and that can be evolved to a public company environment
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures to respond to changes in the Company’s business, and U.S. GAAP regulations and, when applicable, SEC requirements
- Identify transactions requiring specialized accounting treatment and determine and implement the appropriate treatment, utilizing external advisors as necessary
- Oversee the management of financial aspects of leases, contracts, consulting agreements, venture debt financing arrangements and other financial commitments
- Support equity financings including preparation of disclosure schedules, document review, data room development and management, and financial support of due diligence processes
- Partner with the head of FP&A to support organizational cash flow, budgeting, forecasting and reporting
- Assist with specific projects and initiatives unique to a fast-growing biotechnology start-up, such as system implementations and updates and business process improvements
- Perform such other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be needed
- 10+ years of financial and accounting experience in both publicly and privately held companies.
- BS/BA in accounting or finance; MBA preferred; CPA certification preferred
- Experience with a Big Four certified public accounting firm and life sciences / biotechnology industry is highly preferred
- Well versed in U.S. GAAP and financial processes, systems and applications; experience with Net Suite a plus.
- Strong business acumen; proven ability to effectively scrutinize and challenge assumptions and interpret the strategy and priorities of the organization in financial terms
- Excellent project management / leadership skills with demonstrated track record and ability to engage teams to work together towards common objectives and meet deadlines.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing conditions and priorities; comfortable working in a fast-paced, small company environment
- Exceptional attitude, attention to detail and ability to motivate teams to do the same
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted financial matters and see projects through to conclusion
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with both scientists and management
- Ability to distill complexity, communicate decisively and present information and recommendations succinctly and effectively to all levels of the organization
What We’ll Offer You
- If you like a fast-paced, science driven research environment defining and developing manufacturing processes for an entirely new therapeutic modality- this is the role for you. You get to be part of the team of scientists, chemists and engineers that writes the playbook for how to make and characterize tRNA molecules and you will be critical not only in ensuring that we can understand how our manufacturing processes perform on scale-up but also in defining how we manufacture quality products for our clinical programs.
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, paid time off, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and fully covered parking/commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participation in an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to restore disrupted protein production, regardless of target, for thousands of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation.
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Our Core Values
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Scientifically curious and bold. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation. Able to challenge dogma.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity. Self-starter mentality.
EEO Statement: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliate Flagship Labs companies (collectively, “FSP”), are proud to be equal opportunity workplaces and are affirmative action employers. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.