Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
About The Role
Alltrna is looking for a purification technologist with hands on and in-depth experience developing RNA purification processes and transferring those processes to cGMP production facilities. The candidate is expected to design and develop purification processes internally and/or in collaboration with external partners to support ALLTRNA pre-clinical and clinical programs. We operate in an open and inclusive learning environment and need nimble thinkers who can chart courses and plan experiments based upon the data that we generate together. Flagship companies have a history of tackling difficult manufacturing challenges and developing innovative solutions to manufacture complex products- can you see yourself driving the science and engineering in this open space?
- Establish ALLTRNA oligonucleotide/RNA purification laboratory capabilities which includes variety of unit operations such as ultrafiltration/diafiltration and chromatographic techniques (e.g., RP-HPLC, anion-exchange chromatography, column chromatography etc.)
- Develop robust and scalable purification processes for tRNA molecules that optimize material recovery, processing efficiency, and other principles of green chemistry
- Support process technology transfer to cGMP manufacturing facilities by providing on-site technical support, process characterization and risk assessments for production of tRNA molecules
- Collaborate and ensure open communication with internal and external cross-functional teams including chemistry, analytical, quality and formulation.
- Keep abreast on new technologies and scientific advances in the field of RNA purifications through literature, academic and industry sources.
Qualifications and Skills
- BS 5+ yrs, MS 3+ yrs, PhD 1+ yrs in Chemistry, Chemical/Biochemical Engineering and related disciplines) with direct experience in development of purification processes
- Hands-on experience in purification processes using standard laboratory or pilot scale manufacturing equipment.
- Direct experience with large scale industrial purification processes and familiarity with relevant manufacturing compliance such as ISO or GMP
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with emphasis on effective presentations and publications
- Highly skilled in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other tools. Knowledge of statistical software and applications for design of experiments (DOE) and process modeling
What We’ll Offer You
- If you like a fast-paced, science driven research environment defining and developing manufacturing processes for an entirely new therapeutic modality- this is the role for you. You get to be part of the team of scientists, chemists and engineers that writes the playbook for how to make and characterize tRNA molecules and you will be critical not only in ensuring that we can understand how our manufacturing processes perform on scale-up but also in defining how we manufacture quality products for our clinical programs.
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, paid time off, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and fully covered parking/commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participation in an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to restore disrupted protein production, regardless of target, for thousands of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation.
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
- Daily on-site snacks, cold brew coffee, and Bevi, as well as weekly catered lunches.
Our Core Values
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Scientifically curious and bold. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation. Able to challenge dogma.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity. Self-starter mentality.