Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
About The Role
We are seeking a motivated, enthusiastic Research Associate to join Alltrna’s Laboratory Automation and Screening Team (LAS). The LAS team is responsible for developing and adapting screening assays into high throughput, automated formats, to support drug development activities throughout Alltrna.
In this role, you will provide critical support for Alltrna’s tRNA platform screening through (1) the maintenance of cells lines for cell-based screening assays and (2) the implementation of various platform assays (cell-based, molecular, biochemical, and immune), following established protocols. You will also play an important role in ongoing platform expansion by supporting the development of high-throughput assays and contributing to the generation and characterization of stable mammalian reporter cell lines.
As a member of the LAS team, you will have the opportunity to learn how to use various liquid handling platforms such as the Biomek I7 and the Formulatrix Mantis and get hands-on experience with high-content imaging systems such as the IncuCyte and ImageExpress Pico.
A successful candidate will have an educational degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related field and will have direct experience working in a research laboratory setting. The candidate must have excellent communication skills and be willing to work in a highly dynamic and fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Maintain and expand mammalian cell cultures using aseptic cell culture technique
- Follow and execute standardized protocols for high to medium throughput assays, with attention to detail
- Utilize lab automation equipment and high-throughput instrumentation to conduct assays and experiments
- Support high-throughput cell-based assay development; and perform cellular/molecular biology techniques including the generation of stable reporter cells for fluorescence and luciferase related assays
- Document experiments, analyze data, and report results using electronic laboratory notebooks
- Execute and optimize processes within the lab to increase efficiency and effectiveness, including managing biologics inventory, lab consumables, chemicals, and equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related field with direct experience working in a laboratory environment
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture and transfections
- Hands-on experience with nucleic acid extraction
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent attention to detail
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to work in a face-paced environment
- Desire to learn about and implement new technologies
- Knowledge of programs such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and GraphPad Prism
- Experience with microplate-based fluorescence/luminescence assays
- Experience with one or more of the follow assays: high content imaging, western blotting, PCR and qPCR
- Hands-on experience working in a 96/384-well format with multi-channel pipettes
- Prior experience using an electronic laboratory notebook
What We’ll Offer You
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, paid time off, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and fully covered parking/commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participation in an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to restore disrupted protein production, regardless of target, for thousands of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation.
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
- Daily on-site snacks, cold brew coffee, and Bevi, as well as weekly catered lunches.
Our Core Values
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Scientifically curious and bold. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation. Able to challenge dogma.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity. Self-starter mentality.