Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
About The Role
Come join a creative and collaborative team of scientists at Alltrna dedicated to leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics. In this role you will use machine learning methods to accelerate design efforts for tRNA therapeutics, and your contributions will have a major impact on Alltrna’s tRNA platform.
You will be responsible for implementing and evaluating machine learning models and design algorithms that can be applied to RNA engineering. You will work closely with our Computational and Molecular Biology, Screening, and Medicinal Chemistry teams to develop and evaluate design strategies and to explain design performance. Through these collaborations you will help generate hypotheses and design experiments that accelerate the design of tRNA medicines.
- Evaluate ML models to address regression and classification problems in RNA design
- Develop and benchmark RNA design algorithms for single and multiple parameter optimization
- Support explanatory analyses that promote understanding of model features and design strategies.
- Contribute to improving the software infrastructure that supports model and design algorithm building and evaluation.
- Work collaboratively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and medicinal chemistry team to extend the ML platform and accelerate drug discovery
- Formulate and evaluate hypotheses that advance our understanding of tRNA medicines through collaboration with other wet- and dry-lab scientists
Qualifications and Skills
- Ph.D. in computer science, statistics, applied math, computational biology, physics (or related fields) or equivalent industry experience
- Experience training ML models in PyTorch or TensorFlow
- Fluent in Python and common data science libraries
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with an ability to discuss complex methods and results in a clear and accessible manner for all audiences
- Experience with computational notebooks (i.e., Jupyter), version control (i.e., Git), unit tests, and coding standards
The preferred candidate will ideally also possess the following skills:
- Experience using ML models for biological sequence design and selection
- Experience with GNNs or reinforcement learning
- Experience working in a cloud computing environment
What We’ll Offer You
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, paid time off, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and fully covered parking/commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participation in an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to restore disrupted protein production, regardless of target, for thousands of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation.
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
- Daily on-site snacks, cold brew coffee, and Bevi, as well as weekly catered lunches.
Our Core Values
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Scientifically curious and bold. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation. Able to challenge dogma.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity. Self-starter mentality.