WORK TERM: January 2023 - June 2023
Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
The Chemistry team is responsible for developing and adapting synthetic chemical processes to make synthetic tRNA oligonucleotides for our pharmaceutical development teams. As a co-op, you would have the opportunity to learn how to use/program our oligonucleotide synthesizers, purification systems (anion exchange (AEX) and reversed-phase liquid chromatography (RP-LC)), isolation with tangential flow filtration (TFF) system, freeze drying, and characterize your molecules with HPLC, UPLC, mass spectrometry and a variety of other analytical techniques. The cross functional chemistry team works closely with members of the Discovery and Therapeutics Development groups composed of molecular biologists, chemists, engineers, analysts, and operations staff throughout the company. A successful candidate would have previous hands-on experience working in a chemistry lab environment and comfort with programmable instrumentation.
- Learning how to program and operate oligonucleotide synthesizers (Mermade™, Dr Oligo™, OligoSynTM ) and tangential flow filtration (TFF) systems
- Conducting purification via RP and AEX chromatography (GE AKTA™ and Agilent™ systems)
- Screening reaction conditions and optimizing reactions for greater purity and higher yields
- Performing basic characterization analyses of intermediates and products with a variety of techniques (HPLC, mass spectrometry, etc.)
- Potential custom amidite synthesis opportunities
- Programming and method development for user friendly automated systems
- Record all the experiments carried out, all the analytical data collected, and observations.
- Actively interacts with supervisors to gain understanding of principles, experimental designs, and data interpretation.
- Enrolled in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a related major (BS or MS,)
- Available to start January 2023
- Basic organic chemistry knowledge and lab skills: chromatography, balance, HPLC, NMR etc.
- Good understanding of safety regarding working in a chemistry lab.
- Good verbal, communication, and collaboration skills
- Any oligonucleotide knowledge (antisense, siRNA, or mRNA)
- Familiarity with programming concepts and use of automated systems
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology (NASDAQ: SANA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.