The teams are composed of engineers with different backgrounds and experience both in the industry and academia. Your experience, your knowledge and your perspective will add to this diversity, and help the team deliver products that make a difference.
You will play a pivotal role in architecting and implementing systems that play a central role across Algolia’s products. You will also play a role in training/mentoring and leading team members.
Algolia is the world’s only comprehensive search and discovery company. The core of discovery is recommendation. While Algolia’s history with Search is based on users pulling content with queries, Recommend aims at pushing content to them, without any particular explicit trigger. Using our recommendation platform means any business can take advantage of nex-gen (advanced) AI and ML technologies to create great online customer experiences. Our platform is the only one that can be customized to any companys’ unique business needs and instantly delivers precise, session-based recommendations. It’s designed to be easily integrated into existing infrastructure and software and doesn’t require constant and costly API and software updates. Recommendations generate more engagement from users (e.g. the success of feeds like TikTok demonstrate the power of pushing contents). Finally, Recommend completes the discovery experience by filling areas that would not otherwise be filled with search. For example, auto-suggestion cart additions or media playlists or <insert your business need>.
The Recommend Platform is a remote first, multicultural team that believes our diversity should match the world around us. We are looking for an Engineering Manager who can partner with our Product Managers to help convey the vision, plan its implementation and drive execution in the Recommend Platform team. As an Engineering Manager, you will grow the team and mentor engineers while acting as a leader by understanding the technical challenges of the product.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Help the team plan, execute and ship releases respecting timelines and high-quality development, working closely with the product and leadership teams
- Coach and mentor engineers to excel at their work and grow
- Hire and onboard engineers to build a diverse and excellent team
- Lead by example, going hands-on when necessary
- Be a culture advocate within the company living by our core values
- Make sure the team is as productive as possible, removing roadblocks or processes along the way
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Deep interest in people and mentoring
- 3+ years in a managing/leading role
- A passion for shipping quality products
- Experience building AI products
- Experience designing and building data pipelines
- Experience designing new applications with reliability, operability, and availability in mind
- Experience with Public Cloud Providers such as GCP, AWS or Microsoft Azure
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Preference for candidates with experience at our current stage and beyond (500+ employees, over 10,000 customers, $50-200M ARR range, high growth, lots of change and building internal infrastructure). We are growing fast and we have a lot to improve on. We need seniors who've been there, done that.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Austin, and Bucharest. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 12,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Austin, Atlanta, and Bucharest. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!