Algolia is seeking a Senior User Researcher to be the voice of our users and to continue to build Algolia’s thought leadership in search UX. You will do so by conducting and exploring the behaviors and motivations of our users through a variety of quantitative and qualitative research methods. Your research will help us create useful new products and features for developers as well as continually innovate on our existing products. You’ll inspire change at all stages of product development and have a direct impact on our product roadmap.
At heart, we are a developer-focused company (through our API). This is a unique opportunity for someone who wants to help Algolia enable individuals and teams to build amazing products. In addition to being on the cutting edge of a product and industry that is growing at a rapid rate, you will be responsible for helping to build our knowledge base, and shaping short- and long-term goals for our tools based on data collected from users.
You will need to have a solid foundation with various research methods, and willingness to adapt to an ever-changing tech start-up environment. Be a self starter who can adapt to different team needs. You should value and practice transparency, have the humility to admit what you don’t know and continuously strive to improve both personally and professionally.
- Define, plan, and execute impactful research on multiple aspects of Algolia’s products and experiences throughout different stages of the product life cycle
- Work across various teams to define research methodologies according to needs, goals, and success metrics
- Apply rigorous and innovative mixed-method research techniques to collect and analyze our users' behavior. (e.g. field visits, usability testing, surveys, A/B testing, interviews, observation studies, etc.)
- Create and maintain Journey Maps, Personas, and User Flows
- Inform and participate in product decisions on a strategic and tactical level
- Deepen and keep up-to-date Algolia’s knowledge base on search UX and best practices
- Act as an advocate for our users and build empathy across Algolia
- 4+ years research experience in the tech industry using qualitative and quantitative research methods (e.g. interviews, focus groups, usability tests, surveys, etc.)
- Excellent written and spoken English communication
- Practiced interpersonal skills; ability to easily connect with your partners in product, tech, business and design
- Able to understand the big picture of a back-end software development environment
- Desire to stand up and advocate for a user focused approach to product development while keeping business needs in mind
- Ability to be rigorous as well as scrappy, to improvise, think creatively, and find simple solutions to solve complex problems
- Interest in working in a dynamic, international context
Nice to have
- Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Sociology or another human science (Design experience is a plus)
- Past work experience on highly technical enterprise products aimed at technical people
- Strong desire to grow and evolve your role and responsibilities
- Spoken French and English skills to work with some customers
We're looking for someone who can live up to our values
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and flexible time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matchingUnique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Bucharest, and we will be opening a small office in Austin soon. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Millions of developers around the world use Algolia to unleash the power of search across their digital properties. They use Algolia because we are API-first. We unlock incredible flexibility. We build blazing fast speed into our APIs. We do this because we know developers want to build cool things and innovate. Under Armour, Lacoste, Birchbox, Stripe, Slack, Medium, Zendesk and 10,000+ other companies use Algolia to build not just great search, but search that converts at higher rates because of the relevancy. We help their customers find the right goods, offers, and content really quickly. So quickly, in fact, that they don’t go anywhere else. Algolia helps businesses build and optimize the search and discovery experience resulting in significantly enhanced online engagement, increased conversion rates and enriched lifetime value that generates profitable growth. Today, Algolia powers 1.5 Trillion searches a year – that’s 4 times more than Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Baidu and Yandex combined. Our amazing technology is used by one in eight online users.
Founded in 2012, we're backed by $184M in funding from Accel Partners, Alven, DAG Ventures, Founders Circle, Owl Rock Capital, Point Nine Capital, SaaStr Fund, Salesforce Ventures, Storm Ventures and World Innovation Lab. The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, Tokyo, New York, and Atlanta. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!