Algolia is a fast growing company that helps users deliver an intuitive search-as-you-type experience on their websites and mobile apps. We provide a search API used by thousands of customers in more than 100 countries. Today, Algolia powers 1.5 Trillion searches a year – that’s 4 times more than Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Baidu and Yandex combined!
The Billing & Usage team aims to help Algolia grow as an agile business. To achieve that, we are building a powerful & flexible platform empowering internal feature teams to release, track & monetize new products while ensuring that customers understand their usage and control their billing.
We have ambitious goals ahead of us, and in that context we are looking for a Staff Backend Engineer to join the team and help us scale our Billing & Usage Platforms, which are critical to our business. You will work on features ranging from data processing pipelines to flexible pricing APIs. We expect you to bring significant experience acquired from a similar role in a former job. Not only will you lead projects in complete autonomy, you will also be accountable for planning ahead, and thinking in terms of what’s best globally for the company rather than locally for your projects. This also means you are expected to ramp up on multiple projects, and orchestrate changes across projects and teams whenever necessary. As a staff engineer, you are also expected to be a technical leader, sharing your knowledge, helping engineers grow.
Your role will consist of:
- Being a key contributor to the design, development, operation & deployment of all features of the Billing Platform APIs & services
- Being responsible for the quality and the robustness of the libraries & systems
- Sharing your expertise on software engineering, testing and deployment best practices
- Working closely with the team’s Product Manager and our internal stakeholders (other development teams, finance teams) to help define the roadmap
You might be a fit if you have:
- Experience building & operating high volume backend services (e.g. APIs, data pipelines)
- Rigor in high code quality, automated testing, and other engineering best practices
- Experience at our current stage and beyond ($50-200M ARR range, 500+ employees, high growth)
- Experience with Ruby and/or Go
- Experience building billing-related systems
We’re looking for someone who can live our values:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Bucharest, and we will be opening a small office in Austin soon. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Millions of developers around the world use Algolia to unleash the power of search across their digital properties. They use Algolia because we are API-first. We unlock incredible flexibility. We build blazing fast speed into our APIs. We do this because we know developers want to build cool things and innovate. Under Armour, Lacoste, Birchbox, Stripe, Slack, Medium, Zendesk and 10,000+ other companies use Algolia to build not just great search, but search that converts at higher rates because of the relevancy. We help their customers find the right goods, offers, and content really quickly. So quickly, in fact, that they don’t go anywhere else. Algolia helps businesses build and optimize the search and discovery experience resulting in significantly enhanced online engagement, increased conversion rates and enriched lifetime value that generates profitable growth. Today, Algolia powers 1.5 Trillion searches a year – that’s 4 times more than Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Baidu and Yandex combined. Our amazing technology is used by one in eight online users.
Founded in 2012, we're backed by $184M in funding from Accel Partners, Alven, DAG Ventures, Founders Circle, Owl Rock Capital, Point Nine Capital, SaaStr Fund, Salesforce Ventures, Storm Ventures and World Innovation Lab. The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, Tokyo, New York, and Atlanta. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!