At Algolia, we are passionate about helping developers & product teams connect their users with what matters most in milliseconds!
Algolia is looking for a Backend engineer to join the Guided Relevance team. You will contribute to designing, developing and maintaining features that strive to automatically improve the relevance of our customers' search.
You will contribute to one or multiple of the following projects:
- Dynamic Re-Ranking: Help customers optimize their business KPIs by re-ranking search results on the fly based on past user interactions.
- Query Categorization: Develop and maintain the feature to improve the end user search & navigation experiences of the customers implementations
- Query Suggestions: Help users quickly find what they are looking for by suggesting relevant queries “as they type”
- Dynamic Synonyms Suggestions: Generate synonyms for our customers so that end users will always connect with what they were looking for
- AB Testing: Help customers evaluate the impact of our features and search relevance tweaks
As our systems keep improving and scaling, no two problems are ever the same. We expect you to be a pragmatic and resilient problem solver who isn’t afraid to think outside of the box. You will take ownership of complete projects and execute them.
The team is composed of engineers with different backgrounds and experience both in the industry and academia. Your experience, your knowledge, and your perspective will add to this diversity, and help the team deliver products that make a difference.
You will strive in the Guided Relevance team if you are product oriented and if you are driven by clean, pragmatic, scalable and maintainable code. You’ll be extremely successful if you have previous experience in building and maintaining pipelines or APIs in Cloud environments (GCP, AWS,...).
We are designing & maintaining customer facing APIs, data pipelines (streaming & batch), and ML models.
The main technologies we use in the team are:
- Languages: Go / Python
- Databases/Data Stores: GCS / BigQuery / CloudSQL (PostgreSQL)
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes (GKE) / PubSub / Redis (Memorystore)
We run & maintain what we build and are driven by the impact we have on our customers' business metrics.
As a Backend Engineer, we expect you to deliver robust and maintainable code. You should be able to work autonomously on small to medium sized projects, be involved in scoping the features, writing the necessary code, pushing the deliverables to production and maintaining the services. You are expected to be a team player and work with your peers to deliver quality services, and you’ll receive continuous support from senior engineers and the tech lead to help you grow.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Contributing to the design, development, and ultimately operation of the Guided Relevance features at scale
- Making robust & maintainable contributions to the codebases of the systems
- Sharing with the team your experience on software engineering, testing, and deployment
- Participating in defining the future of the automated relevance in the Search engine
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Are able to make autonomous decisions for which you will take ownership
- Are a team player
- Have experience working with high traffic APIs and pipelines, and experience manipulating big datasets
- Preference for candidates with experience at our current stage and beyond (over 10,000 customers, $50-200M ARR range, high growth, lots of change and building internal infrastructure).
NICE TO HAVE:
- Familiarity with Go and/or Python languages
- Experience with GCP, Terraform, Kubernetes
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL, BigQuery, PostgreSQL)
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Bucharest, and we will be opening a small office in Austin soon. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Millions of developers around the world use Algolia to unleash the power of search across their digital properties. They use Algolia because we are API-first. We unlock incredible flexibility. We build blazing fast speed into our APIs. We do this because we know developers want to build cool things and innovate. Under Armour, Lacoste, Birchbox, Stripe, Slack, Medium, Zendesk and 10,000+ other companies use Algolia to build not just great search, but search that converts at higher rates because of the relevancy. We help their customers find the right goods, offers, and content really quickly. So quickly, in fact, that they don’t go anywhere else. Algolia helps businesses build and optimize the search and discovery experience resulting in significantly enhanced online engagement, increased conversion rates and enriched lifetime value that generates profitable growth. Today, Algolia powers 1.5 Trillion searches a year – that’s 4 times more than Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Baidu and Yandex combined. Our amazing technology is used by one in eight online users.
Founded in 2012, we're backed by $184M in funding from Accel Partners, Alven, DAG Ventures, Founders Circle, Owl Rock Capital, Point Nine Capital, SaaStr Fund, Salesforce Ventures, Storm Ventures and World Innovation Lab. The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, Tokyo, New York, and Atlanta. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!