This position is open to remote work. If you are located somewhere not listed in this job description, we will be happy to discuss it.
We’re on a mission to make Algolia a data-driven organization, and we’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data team and help us get there.
Our Data team aims at helping other teams make better decisions by providing relevant data while ensuring its integrity and its consistency. This team has a significant impact as we work closely with business analysts on our Operations, Marketing, Product and Infrastructure teams to help them discover meaningful trends.
On a daily-basis, you will work on:
- Developing data pipelines and ETL workflows with Python, Airflow (AWS MWAA), Spark (AWS Glue) and Terraform.
- Improving and maintaining our data warehouse (AWS Redshift).
- Build data models with dbt to be used by Analysts on business reports.
- Interacting with Engineering and Business teams to understand requirements.
We are very open-minded and happy to experiment new technologies to achieve our goals and we try to continuously challenge our choices on that topic. You will have the opportunity to make some decisions going in that direction.
As a senior joining the team, your goal will also be to mentor junior engineers and help them grow to be successful at Algolia.
The current Data team is composed of a governance team (modeler, architect, quality specialist), data analysts and data engineers.
With Algolia’s rapid growth, there will be many data-related challenges that will need to be tackled!
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Design, build, enrich and maintain our data pipelines.
- Work with engineers and business analysts to capture and model data.
- Monitor data integrity and growth.
- Help improve our data lake and data warehouse architecture, to increase performance, simplicity and autonomy of the users.
- Help analysts industrialize reports and dashboards to improve company productivity.
- Ensure every product is released with a data-driven approach.
YOU MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT IF YOU HAVE
- Strong experience designing and building data pipelines.
- Experience orchestrating pipelines with Airflow.
- Professional knowledge of Python.
- Experience working with cloud platforms and architecturing them.
- Experience modeling data warehouses.
- Experience about infrastructure topics specific to data engineering.
- Interest in Big Data challenges (500Go and 750.000 files of new raw data every day).
- Interest in understanding the data and business requirements.
- An authorization to work in the EU.
- Humble, curious, proactive and demonstrates a balance between creativity, scrappy and pragmatism.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience using and managing AWS Redshift.
- Experience with a parallel data processing framework such as Apache Spark.
- Experience analyzing data quality using dbt.
- Experience at our current stage and beyond ($50-200M ARR range, high growth, lots of change and building internal infrastructure).
- Excellent spoken and written English skills required.
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Austin, and Bucharest. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 12,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Austin, Atlanta, and Bucharest. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!