Founded in 2019, with the mission to protect the truth, Alethea Group detects and mitigates instances of disinformation and social media manipulation to help clients navigate the new digital reality. We protect clients from the threat of disinformation that targets brands, reputations, employee safety, or financial bottom lines through our industry-leading investigation and remediation services.
Alethea Group is seeking a Principal Analysts to join its team. This role will be responsible for leading multiple project teams of analysts. You will manage client relationships, deliver client briefings and training, lead on the editing of client-facing analytic outputs, and support business growth by leading on the development of new analytic products. You will also be responsible for developing and executing new methodologies in response to social media manipulation trends, will be heavily involved in business-critical decisions such as methodology and tool selection, and will play a central role in improving investigative and operational processes. This is a threat analyst position, not a policy position.
- Lead complex investigations into and producing sophisticated analyses of instances of manipulation and disinformation targeting a variety of clients.
- Oversee multiple investigative project teams of 3-5 analysts each in the production of a variety of analytic outputs.
- Identify new trends in social media manipulation and disinformation.
- Manage and prioritize multiple investigative projects and other tasks concurrently, including scope, budgets, and timelines of client projects and deliverables.
- Lead client relationships, including day-to-day management, scheduling, participating in client meetings, and briefing analytic findings succinctly.
- Identify and developing opportunities to provide new analytic products and services to existing clients.
- Provide feedback to and supporting the professional development and growth of junior analysts.
- Deliver disinformation training programs.
- Develop, acquire, evaluate and implement new research tools and methodologies
- Contribute to public-facing research in order to share new trends with the broader research community and American public.
- At least six years of relevant work experience (i.e. complex research, analysis, etc), including extensive experience within the disinformation field.
- At least two years of experience overseeing a team of at least two people in research, analysis, and analytic production.
- Experience developing topics for and managing research, intelligence, and open source products.
- Advanced experience in qualitative and quantitative OSINT research, including prior work experience analyzing social media data and other data in the digital domain.
- Experience producing high-quality written products that are succinct, logically structured, visually appealing, and tailored to the audience.
- Demonstration of mastery, either through research, study, or experience, of one of the following research areas: social media research, government and politics (including international politics), disinformation, information operations, violent extremism, quantitative analysis, computer science, or cybersecurity.
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise in esoteric research areas as they relate to the disinformation threat.
- Experience briefing decision makers orally and in writing on complex and disparate findings, with a demonstrated ability to deliver key messages with clarity, confidence, and poise.
- Experience managing customer relationships, expectations, and project scoping in a research and analysis context.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically, see the big picture, and when necessary act independently and decisively in alignment with the team’s best interests and the organization’s goals.
- Business acumen, including the ability to recognize and develop business opportunities to provide new analytic products and services to existing clients.
Preferred Skills (Not required):
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related discipline (e.g. social science, computer science, intelligence studies, etc.).
- Foreign language skills.
- Experience with data visualization and programming preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with the disinformation space (e.g. through academic research/training or prior work experience).
- PMP Certification.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary and stock options are negotiated based on experience.
- Healthcare at the gold-tier level, dental, and vision is fully funded by the employer. 50% of dependent coverage is provided by the employer.
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave, including office closure between Christmas and New Years, and extended holidays at Thanksgiving and the 4th of July.
- Employer sponsored 401k with a 3.5% match.
- Remote-first role, with the ability to work anywhere in the United States. Headquarters is located in Washington, D.C.
Alethea Group welcomes talent from all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, abilities and walks of life. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workforce, providing a supportive environment for all employees. Kindness is one of our core values. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every qualification. Come as you are and learn about the exciting opportunities on our team.
Please note that applicants must reside in the United States to be considered for this position.
Our office is remote during the COVID-19 pandemic, and will reopen once public health officials have determined it is safe to do so. At that time, staff will have the option to work from our Washington, D.C. office.
Alethea Group is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.