Founded in 2019, with the mission to protect the truth, Alethea is a tech company that detects and mitigates instances of disinformation and social media manipulation to help clients navigate the new digital reality. We protect clients from the threat of disinformation that targets brands, reputations, employee safety, or financial bottom lines through our industry-leading investigation and remediation services.
Please note that applicants must reside in the Washington D.C. or New York City area to be considered for this position.
Alethea is seeking an Associate Analyst or Analyst. In this role, you will conduct daily monitoring and undertake OSINT investigations into social media manipulation and online threats targeting clients, and support client briefings and training. You will need to be able to meet a dynamic set of customer needs and think creatively, distilling large sets of social media data and other relevant information into actionable analysis to be used by a variety of stakeholders. As part of being a teammate at a startup, you will also help identify ways to improve investigative and operational processes and methodologies. This is a threat analyst position, not a policy position.
- Provide daily insights into social media conversations and investigate instances of manipulation and disinformation for a variety of clients.
- Conduct targeted research and investigations to support the development of a variety of analytic products.
- Identify new trends in social media manipulation and disinformation.
- Manage and prioritize multiple investigative projects and other tasks.
- Participate in client meetings and brief findings.
- Support disinformation training programs led by Senior Analysts.
- Contribute to public-facing research in order to share new trends with the broader research community and the public.
You are / have:
- 1-5 years of relevant work experience (i.e. research, analysis, investigation, etc).
- Deep regional expertise in South Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Africa, or Southeast Asia. Preference for candidates proficient or fluent in an Indian language, Persian, Indonesian, or Portuguese.
- Willing to become a subject matter expert in esoteric research areas.
- Experienced in qualitative and quantitative research, with a strong preference for experience analyzing social media data in some capacity (e.g. as part of academic or prior work project).
- A well-developed understanding—either through research, study, or experience—of one of the following areas: social media research, government and politics (including international politics), disinformation, information operations, violent extremism, quantitative analysis, computer science, or cybersecurity.
- Experienced at briefing verbally and writing on complex and disparate findings.
- Able to think strategically, see the big picture, and, when necessary, act independently and decisively in alignment with the team’s best interests and the organization’s broader goals.
- Comfortable with a fast-paced start-up environment that involves regular iteration and improvement of existing products and processes.
- A great teammate and have a collaborative mindset.
Preferred Qualifications (not required):
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related discipline (e.g. social science, computer science, intelligence studies, etc.)
- Prior work experience analyzing social media data.
- Familiarity with the disinformation space (e.g. through academic research, training, or prior work experience).
Note: This role involves potential exposure to sensitive or disturbing content, including but not limited to vulgar language and violent threats.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary and stock options are negotiated based on experience.
- Healthcare at the gold-tier level, dental, and vision is fully funded by the employer. 50% of dependent coverage is provided by the employer.
- Unlimited vacation, sick leave, including office closure between Christmas and New Year’s, and extended holidays at Thanksgiving and the 4th of July.
- Employer sponsored 401k with a 3% match.
- Hybrid work environment, with 2-3 days per week required in office in Washington, D.C or New York.
Alethea is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.