Founded in 2019, Alethea is a tech company that detects and mitigates instances of disinformation and social media manipulation to help clients navigate the new digital reality. We protect clients from the threat of disinformation that targets brands, reputations, employee safety, or financial bottom lines through our industry-leading investigation and remediation services.
Alethea is seeking an experienced leader and subject matter expert to be the Head of Data Science and Machine Learning and lead our Data Science and Machine Learning team. Partnering with the Analysis and Engineering teams, you will help design and implement data science and machine learning solutions for detecting and mitigating online disinformation and manipulation. While this is a leadership position, you must be deeply technical, having extensive experience developing and deploying state-of-the-art machine learning models. This position has high visibility and will have a significant impact on the company’s success.
- Collaborate with business leaders across the company to define and execute on a vision for data science, machine learning, and analytics that will enable customers to make data-driven decisions.
- Drive the Data Science and Machine Learning team’s technical roadmap and delivery of modern ML solutions by designing scalable models, data pipelines, and platform experiences.
- Lead, mentor, and expand our high-performing team of data scientists, machine learning engineers, and data analysts, with a dedicated focus on their professional development and growth.
- Develop internal frameworks, methodologies, and best practices that facilitate robust and reproducible model development and data engineering.
- Design and architect processes, systems, tools, and capabilities required to produce and maintain our core data assets.
- Deliver statistical and analytics solutions to novel and challenging problems in the space of online disinformation and manipulation that arise from customer use cases.
Skills, Experience, Attitudes
- Education: Masters or Ph.D. in a quantitative or technical field
- Experience: Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in data science domains including predictive modeling, statistical analysis, machine learning, human-in-the-loop learning, natural language processing, network/graph-based models, time series forecasting, and optimization. Excellent theoretical understanding of machine learning approaches, including individual methods’ unique strengths and weaknesses, and demonstrated ability to make effective modeling choices based on trade-offs. Customer- and product-focused mindset in developing machine learning solutions to meet user needs.
- Leadership: Strong leadership capabilities with experience collaborating with key stakeholders across leadership, product, and engineering. Dedication to mentorship and professional development of junior and senior data scientists, machine learning engineers, and data analysts.
- Mission Oriented: This is a startup, and those who thrive are people who stay focused on achieving our goals, learning, and asking questions. You should have a flexible attitude with a growth mindset and the ability to rapidly action feedback. Comfortable with a fast-paced environment that involves regular iteration.
- Teamwork: You should have a strong work ethic with a proactive and collaborative mindset.
- Curiosity and Drive: We like independent thinkers. If we all agree on everything, we’re not all necessary. We look for those with an insatiable curiosity and unstoppable drive to succeed.
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residency is required. We do not currently offer any sponsorship benefits at this time.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary and stock options are negotiated based on experience.
- Healthcare at the gold-tier level, dental, and vision is fully funded by the employer. 50% of dependent coverage is provided by the employer.
- Unlimited vacation, sick leave, including office closure between Christmas and New Year’s, and extended holidays at Thanksgiving and the 4th of July.
- Employer sponsored 401k with a 3% match.
- Remote or hybrid environment (offices in New York and Washington DC).
Alethea will not be accepting applications from recruiting agencies or contractors at this time. Please do not submit applications.
Alethea is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.