Founded in 2019, Alethea is a tech company that detects and mitigates instances of disinformation and social media manipulation to help clients navigate the new digital reality. We protect clients from the threat of disinformation that targets brands, reputations, employee safety, or financial bottom lines through our industry-leading investigation and remediation services.
Reporting to the Head of Data Science, Alethea is seeking a Principal Data Scientist to take a leadership position within our Data Science and Machine Learning team. The team works closely with our Analysis and Engineering teams to derive insights from a diverse set of data sources and to develop machine learning solutions for detecting and mitigating online disinformation and manipulation. As a data scientist, you will lead efforts in creating models, tools, and frameworks that help identify instances of online disinformation and the actors behind them. You will help scale our machine learning infrastructure and data pipelines and enable our customers to make better data-driven decisions. You must be deeply technical, having extensive experience developing and deploying state-of-the-art machine learning models while balancing trade-offs between timeliness, resource consumption, and performance. This position has high visibility and will have a significant impact on the company’s success.
- Work closely with members of the Analysis, Data Science, Product, and Engineering teams to design, build, and deploy machine learning models that surface disinformation and other forms of online manipulation.
- Research and implement state-of-the-art modeling techniques that leverage behavioral signals from a wide range of data sources to generate actionable insights and solutions for client services and product enhancements.
- Lead the development of new capabilities and help support/improve existing models and products.
- Communicate results of research and analyses and provide guidance to a wide range of audiences, including fellow data scientists, non-technical team members, and executive leadership.
- Help shape the overall tech development and direction for the Data Science team and the company more broadly.
Skills, Experience, Attitudes
- Education: Masters or Ph.D. in a quantitative or technical field
- Experience: Experience applying supervised/unsupervised machine learning modeling techniques to turn big data into actionable insights. Significant experience with NLP-related tasks and frameworks. Significant experience using Python, including important libraries (Tensorflow, PyTorch, Transformers, Scikit-learn, Pandas), as well as SQL. Demonstrated ability to make effective modeling choices based on trade-offs. Customer- and product-focused mindset in developing machine learning solutions to meet user needs.
- Mission Oriented: This is a startup, and those who thrive are people who stay focused on achieving our goals, learning, and asking questions. You should have a flexible attitude with a growth mindset and the ability to rapidly action feedback. Comfortable with a fast-paced start-up environment that involves regular iteration.
- Teamwork: You should have a strong work ethic with a proactive and collaborative mindset.
- Curiosity and Drive: We like independent thinkers. If we all agree on everything, we’re not all necessary. We look for those with an insatiable curiosity and unstoppable drive to succeed.
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residency is required. We do not currently offer any sponsorship benefits at this time.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary and stock options are negotiated based on experience.
- Healthcare at the gold-tier level, dental, and vision is fully funded by the employer. 50% of dependent coverage is provided by the employer.
- Unlimited vacation, sick leave, including office closure between Christmas and New Year’s, and extended holidays at Thanksgiving and the 4th of July.
- Employer sponsored 401k with a 3% match.
- Remote or hybrid environment (offices in New York and Washington DC).
Alethea will not be accepting applications from recruiting agencies or contractors at this time. Please do not submit applications.
Alethea is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.