Alethea is a technology company helping the Fortune 500, private companies and nonprofits protect themselves from harms stemming from disinformation. Leveraging its multi-channel machine learning platform, Artemis, Alethea detects disinformation narratives across the internet, enabling customers to proactively defend against this pervasive threat. With Artemis-powered early detection, Alethea customers can protect their reputations, key assets, physical safety and market value. The company was founded in 2019 and is woman owned.
Alethea Group is seeking Data Scientists of all levels to join our growing data science team. The team’s goal is to turn data from many sources into actionable insights that aid research into online disinformation. As data scientists, we lead Alethea Group’s efforts in creating models and tools that help identify instances of online disinformation and the actors behind them. In this role, you will work with people across the company to research, design, and productize methodologically-sound modeling techniques that aid in understanding the online disinformation threat. This position has high visibility within and will have a significant impact on the company.
- Work closely with members of the Analysis, Data Science, Product and Engineering teams to design, build, and productize machine learning models that help surface disinformation insights and trends online.
- Conduct research into different modeling techniques that help surface online behaviors that leverage multiple signals from a wide range of data sources to generate actionable insights and solutions for client services and product enhancements.
- Lead the development of new capabilities and help support/improve existing models and products.
- Communicate results of research and analyses and provide guidance to a wide range of audiences, including other team members and executive leadership.
- Help shape the overall tech development and direction for both the Data Science team and the company.
- Masters or Ph.D. in a quantitative or technical field.
- Experience applying supervised/unsupervised modeling techniques to turn big data into actionable insights.
- Proven track record of peer-reviewed publications.
- Significant experience with NLP-related tasks and frameworks.
- Significant experience using SQL and Python, including important libraries (Tensorflow, PyTorch, Transformers, Scikit-learn, Pandas).
- Experience using distributed computing frameworks such as Spark.
- Some experience with data visualization frameworks (e.g., Dash, Streamlit, D3).
- Self-motivated and proactive individuals that help identify challenges and provide solutions.
- Strong communication and presentation skills to explain highly technical solutions to technical and non-technical audiences.
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residency is required. We do not currently offer any sponsorship benefits at this time.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary and stock options are negotiated based on experience.
- Healthcare at the gold-tier level, dental, and vision is fully funded by the employer. 50% of dependent coverage is provided by the employer.
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave, including office closure between Christmas and New Years, and extended holidays at Thanksgiving and the 4th of July.
- Employer sponsored 401k with a 3% match.
- Remote-first role, with the ability to work anywhere in the United States. Headquarters is located in Washington, D.C.
Alethea will not be accepting applications from recruiting agencies or contractors at this time. Please do not submit applications.
Alethea welcomes talent from all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, abilities and walks of life. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workforce, providing a supportive environment for all employees. Kindness is one of our core values. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every qualification. Come as you are and learn about the exciting opportunities on our team.
Alethea is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.