AirTrunk is a rapidly growing technology company that exists to reimagine, build and operate data centres to meet the needs of the world’s largest and most influential technology companies today and into the future. Having opened Australia’s first and largest hyperscale data centres, and with Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney’s North and Japan under development, we have our eyes set on rapid expansion across Asia Pacific. We are looking for people who share our energy and passion to support our data-driven future.
As a Senior Lawyer, you will report to the Chief Legal Officer (who is based in our HQ in Sydney) and work closely with the rest of the legal team, making your mark in a number of ways:
- You will be leading the AirTrunk legal team’s workstreams in Japan which includes collaborating closely with the business and management to provide high quality and commercial legal advice across various business areas
- You will be responsible for providing both day-to-day and strategic legal support to primarily to Japan projects and AirTrunk’s growth in Japan
- You will lead transactional drafting and negotiation responsibilities on deals in Japan and provide ongoing Japanese legal advice to senior executives and business team members
Your Day to Day
- Independently structure, review, negotiate and draft a wide range of significant contracts, including customer colocation servicer agreements, lease agreements, construction and procurement contracts, consultancy agreements and other general commercial contracts with varying levels of complexity
- Make sound commercial decisions on a day-to-day basis even in complex and ambiguous situations
- Provide general Japanese legal advice on any technology and/or Intellectual Property issues (data privacy, trade secrets, copyright etc) that may arise from AirTrunk’s customized equipment, products and technology
- Manage external legal counsel across multiple jurisdictions across APAC
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of AirTrunk’s operations, technologies and products/services
- Provide legal advice that is accurate, practical and easy to understand to non-legal staff at AirTrunk
- Pick up on complex issues and propose feasible and practical solutions to the business
- Provide legal advisory support and training where necessary for AirTrunk’s operations
- Provide input and support on their global and regional initiatives and projects on an ad hoc basis
- Law degree from an accredited law school and passed the bar/hold a license to practice law in Japan
- Minimum of 7-10 years post-qualification experience in corporate and commercial law in Japan
- In-house experience reporting to overseas HQ and/or experience from an international law firm in Japan is preferable
- Strong communication skills in both English and Japanese
- Excellent drafting and negotiating skills, stakeholder management and relationship building skills
- Ability to assess and advise on complex risk as part of providing solution driven advice
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact and work with people from different areas and locations at all levels
- Strong commercial acumen and ability to provide strategy value add
- "Can do" attitude and prepared to go the extra mile beyond the job scope, when required. Achievement and results orientated.
- Ability to lead with minimal supervision (but yet knows when to escalate to management when necessary)
- Enjoy being challenged and working in a fun team-oriented environment
The AirTrunk Culture
The pace of our industry and the world of data means you’ll feel an electrifying buzz here at AirTrunk.
AirTrunkers are ever-ready, adaptable and intuitive. We’re a company of challengers – constantly seeing every situation, big and small, as an opportunity to reinvent and change the game.
Each and every AirTrunker brings their unique background, experiences and perspective to help us to be a place where the best, or those with the potential to be, come to work and thrive.
**To all recruitment agencies: AirTrunk does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, AirTrunk employees or any other organization location. AirTrunk is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.**