At Airtable, our mission is to democratize software creation by enabling anyone to build the tools that meet their needs. More than 300,000 companies use Airtable for business-critical use cases, with some of our largest customers using Airtable to run global processes across thousands of employees.
Airtable is looking for someone to help us develop actionable reliability and performance measurements from the customer's perspective, and drive sustainable operations improvements across the organization to continually improve the Airtable product experience. The vision of the reliability function is to enable Airtable to both rapidly deliver solutions to our customers, and keep them delighted with Airtable stability and performance at the same time.
As Airtable's first Reliability Engineer, you will be impacting Airtable customers directly by helping us determine exactly how to translate an Airtable user's experience with the product into actionable SLIs, performance metrics, and feature monitoring. You will also learn about both product and infrastructure teams' current development practices and build tools and frameworks to have a multiplier effect on their operations. This is a ground-floor opportunity with room for rapid growth for the right candidate.
What you'll do
- Help Airtable Engineering create and maintain meaningful customer-centric SLIs that are actionable through processes, best practices, tools and frameworks.
- Build a deep understanding of how Airtable features and systems interact, scale and fail, and use that insight to help teams systematically identity risks and opportunities for remediation.
- Uplevel teams and raise the bar for operational excellence by forming engagement models with teams across Engineering, and working alongside those teams to identify areas for improvement.
- Standardize the definition of operational excellence by establishing best practices across the organization as it relates to reliability and performance.
Who you are
- You have demonstrated experience implementing best practices for measuring reliability, uptime, availability and performance at a product or SaaS company. You're passionate about operational excellence, upleveling teams, and growing a culture that uses metrics to improve reliability for Airtable customers. Leading technical discussions, driving technical decisions, and explaining complex concepts to a diverse audience is your strength.
- You have strong communication skills and experience working with and alongside engineers from a variety of different team environments (front-end, platform, etc.). When you work alongside a new team, they see value in your contributions very quickly.
- You have strong experience troubleshooting and debugging distributed systems, from application code down to system and network level layers, and have a deep understanding around how to make complex software more observable.
- You have many success stories about the tools, automations and frameworks you've built that are used by other engineering teams. You are familiar with a broad range of testing, observability, security, and infrastructure tooling (metrics, CI/CD, logging, tracing, unit and integration testing, deployment tooling).
- You have 4+ years of experience with programming languages, with deep expertise in at least one server-side programming language (NodeJS, Python, Java). Your code is testable, maintainable, and understandable.
Compensation awarded to successful candidates will vary based on their work location, relevant skills and experience. The base salary range for this role is $228,000 - $322,905 for work locations in San Francisco, Mountain View, Seattle, NYC and LA. Our total compensation package also includes the opportunity to receive benefits, restricted stock units, and may include incentive compensation.
Airtable is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and strive to create a workplace where everyone has an equal opportunity to thrive. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any characteristic protected by applicable federal and state laws, regulations and ordinances. Learn more about your EEO rights as an applicant.
If you have a medical condition, disability, or religious belief/practice which inhibits your ability to participate in any part of the application or interview process, please complete our Accommodations Request Form and let us know how we may assist you. Airtable is committed to participating in the interactive process and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants.
Please see our Privacy Notice for details regarding Airtable’s collection and use of personal information relating to the application and recruitment process by clicking here.