Airtable’s mission is to bring the power of computing and software development to everyone. One of the most rewarding parts of building a toolkit is seeing the incredible things your users create with it. We’ve seen our largest and most sophisticated customers use Airtable to run global processes across thousands of employees, coordinate precision manufacturing and 3D printing pipelines, and consolidate previously siloed mission-critical data into a single source of truth.
At Airtable, we are building a relational database engine that supports real-time synchronization between different users, revision history, a powerful formulas engine, workflows and automations, snapshotting, and more. Our infrastructure teams see the direct impact of their work on customers’ user experience. We are building and evolving our database engine to meet our customers’ most critical needs around performance and scale.
Within the Infrastructure group, our service orchestration pod’s charter is to implement the next generation of technologies for building, running, and deploying backend services. We are looking for experienced engineers who are excited about building our infrastructure to power Airtable’s growth. You are someone who asks yourself, “what can we build today that will enable our scale for 5 or 10 years in the future?” Your work will shape our service deployment and orchestration for years to come. The successful candidate will have experience building and running scalable distributed systems, and deep knowledge of containers and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).
This pod will adopt a Kubernetes based technology stack for service deployment and orchestration, with the goal of replacing our existing deployment infrastructure and making it easier for engineers across the company to deploy services. This pod will also work to make it easy for teams to create new services and hasten our transition to a true service oriented architecture. This effort is extremely important to enable the growth of our engineering team and manage the growing complexity of our backend architecture.
What you'll do
- Be a foundational member of the service orchestration pod
- Help Airtable to evaluate and adopt Kubernetes-based technologies for service deployment and orchestration
- Shape best practices for other engineering teams in the company to create, run and deploy services
- Design, configure, and operate Kubernetes clusters of a server fleet with thousands of nodes
- Evaluate and adopt Continuous Delivery/Deployment (CD) tools such as Spinnaker, Argo or Flux/Flagger
- Design and implement a service observability framework: monitoring, logging and tracing
- Design, configure, and operate: service discovery, service proxy (such as Envoy), and service mesh (such as Istio or Linkerd)
- Design and implement the best containerization practices for services
- Evaluate and adopt RPC frameworks such as gRPC
Who you are
- You have experience in areas such as distributed systems, Service Oriented Architectures (SOA), and backend performance measurement and optimization
- You have experience building frameworks and tools for other engineers
- You are excited to research new technologies and adopt them to replace legacy architectures
- You have experience running and deploying services
- You have experience with Node.js services
- You have experience with Kubernetes or technologies listed above (Docker, Argo, Flux/Flagger, Spinnaker, Envoy, Istio, Linkerd, gRPC)
- You have experience with Golang
- You have experience working with open source communities
- You have experience implementing best security and policy practices for infrastructure security
What we offer
- We have your medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered (and your dependents covered at 65%)
- Complimentary One Medical membership for individuals and dependents
- High deductible health plan with health spend account contribution
- $250 monthly wellness stipend for you to invest in your overall wellness
- Mental health support
- Family planning support (fertility, adoption, and surrogacy)
- Generous vacation and sick time
- 16 weeks of parental leave
- Learning & Development: we offer a $2,000 per year stipend for your personal career development
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 250,000 organizations around the world. Our most recent funding round valued Airtable at $5.77 billion and raised $270 million in additional capital, and we're just getting started!