The primary function of this position is to effectively build, lead and manage a department which is responsible for Airtable’s External Reporting in accordance with GAAP, and compliance with direct and indirect statutory tax requirements. To achieve these expectations, the ideal candidate will be deeply trained in and knowledgeable of GAAP, full GAAP financial statement preparation, external audit practices and management, SOX program management, business advisory services for customer and other contracts, accounting for and compliance requirements for taxes, and more. Ideal candidates will bring their proven experience to leverage best in class, people, processes and systems to effectively meet the current and anticipated needs of the business. This role will also be involved, and lead their team in, closely collaborating with the People Organization, Accounting, Finance, Legal, Sales Ops and other Customer Experience teams, and other business units.
What you'll do
- Effectively build, lead and manage a team, consisting of and leveraging world class tools, processes, and personnel, to deliver against the responsibilities and objectives of the department.
- Perform technical research on all relevant accounting and tax issues, document and maintain an up to date library of required policies, and provide accounting and tax consultation advice to business partners. Success is also dependent upon the ability to anticipate the need for policies before they are critical, such as with any newly released guidance, and to create and execute an effective launch process which allows enough time for proper research, review and approval by stakeholders before they are communicated. For clarity, external auditors are key stakeholders in most and should be consulted with and informed early in the process to help assure quality of the policies and alignment with our auditors.
- Define, design and implement optimized processes and policies to ensure a foundation on which timely, accurate and comprehensive GAAP financial statements are consistently and efficiently produced.
- Define, design and implement optimized processes and policies to ensure a foundation on which timely, accurate and comprehensive direct and indirect tax returns and other required filings are prepared and filed. Maintain oversight and identify and manage all potential jurisdictions in which Airtable conducts business and has legal presence to optimize compliance and manage all related audit and other inquiries to ensure timely and effective resolution.
- Collaborate with the People Organization, Accounting, Finance, Legal, Sales Ops and other Customer Experience teams, and other business units on all GAAP inquiries and concerns. Work with all stakeholders to operationalize, adapt, refine and optimize a comprehensive global process to ensure all non-standard contracts are reviewed, global policies are adhered to, and we achieve timely and proper recognition of all material transactions in accordance with GAAP. Contemporaneously draft technical memos for significant non-standard deals and other transactions to ensure proper internal and external auditor alignment.
- Build effective relationships with the external auditors and collaborate on implementing a process for orderly, effective audits. Coordinate all aspects of the relationship including monitoring and escalating any issues which jeopardize the timely and successful completion of the audit or routine monthly close process.
- Define, design and maintain a comprehensive best in class internal certification program for all finance related certification requirements. Coordinate with PeopleOps and SalesOps on training programs for incoming as well as existing Airtablets to ensure understanding and awareness of certification topics.
- As Airtable evolves and matures, collaborate with all stakeholders to lay a foundation of processes, controls and documentation designed to prepare the company for transition to SOX certification should that become required. Success here will be having most of the requirements already inherent in our standard procedures in advance of having to certify them.
- Build a network of peers and participate in industry groups to establish a benchmark for “best in class” Technical Accounting and External Reporting related practices, efficiency and effectiveness. Develop and drive a vision and detailed roadmap to ensure Airtable’s Technical Accounting function meets current and future business needs and stays competitive with “best in class” standards. Actively participate with the wider Controllership team in driving Airtable’s systems roadmap, appropriately prioritizing initiatives and helping to ensure automated solutions are implemented timely and effectively.
- Assist with or be responsible for other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned.
Who you are
- 12 or more years relevant work experience in Technical Accounting
- 10 or more years of leadership and management experience with proven results for building and leading highly effective teams
- 6-8 years of relevant experience from public accounting and/or publicly traded multinational high-tech companies
- SaaS based industry experience a significant plus
- Researching, analyzing, documenting and applying technical accounting matters; emphasis on a strong knowledge in revenue recognition principles and SEC reporting regulations
- Experience with customer deal structuring, including non-standard customer contract terms, and related accounting ramifications
- Experience with external reporting responsibilities for a publicly traded company
- Relevant experience with SOX
- First-hand experience interacting with external parties, including auditors
- Experience with global companies a strong plus
- Presentations to senior and executive management a strong plus
What we offer
- We have your medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered (and your dependents covered at 65%)
- Complimentary One Medical membership for individuals and dependents
- High deductible health plan with health spend account contribution
- $250 monthly wellness stipend for you to invest in your overall wellness
- Mental health support
- Family planning support (fertility, adoption, and surrogacy)
- Generous vacation and sick time
- 16 weeks of parental leave
- Learning & Development: we offer a $2,000 per year stipend for your personal career development
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 250,000 organizations around the world. Our most recent funding round valued Airtable at $5.77 billion and raised $270 million in additional capital, and we're just getting started!