Airtable is looking for a high-energy, bright individual with a minimum of 10 years experience in managing payroll to help oversee our payroll process. This role will be responsible for the review of the salary & hourly payroll processing, commissions calculation and processing, payroll journal entries, reconciliation, analysis and compliance associated with payroll.
An ideal candidate will be someone who is a game-changer and will take charge of the entire payroll, continually drive process improvement, and be an expert payroll resource for the entire company. If you have the experience and motivation to oversee this business-critical process and the desire to grow quickly within the Airtable organization, we need to talk!
What you'll do
- Effectively build, lead and manage a team, processes, and personnel to deliver against the responsibilities and objectives of the department
- Effective, accurate, timely, confidential and efficient processing of calculation and settlement of all payroll and commissions. Payroll and commissions include all bonus and incentive programs; however, this role does not include responsibility for commission plan design or calculation of share based compensation expense.
- Effective, accurate, timely, and confidential recording to the G/L and other books of record of all payroll and commissions including all related accruals. This includes the ability to analyze the accuracy of final payroll and commissions related comp expenses in the G/L and related balance sheet accounts and report out monthly on the accuracy of the results and explain any large or unusual fluctuations. This also includes timely and accurate clearing of related reconciling items in accordance with Airtable policy to ensure accurate financial results in the G/L. For the avoidance of doubt, scope of this role includes payroll related tax and withholdings accounts.
- Serve as the main compensation, payroll accounting and compliance point of contact for Airtable in front of employees as well as various external parties (People team, auditors, system implementation, etc.).
- Effective, accurate and timely filing of all employer payroll related compliance forms, withholding taxes and returns for all applicable jurisdictions. This includes collaborating with Legal and People Ops on the state registration process.
- Overseeing the implementation, maintenance and recurring optimization of tools, processes and including readout and escalation strategies to effectively monitor and communicate the “health” of Airtable’s payroll, commissions, and equity process. Process should be such that critical issues are detected, analyzed, escalated if required, and ultimately resolved timely with minimal impact to the financial statements and actual results reporting process. Process should also provide Airtable with a quantitative basis for identifying and assessing the financial impact of sub-optimal processes in the daily payroll, commissions, and equity processes and identifying and prioritizing recommendations for improvement.
- Overseeing root cause analysis of recurring reconciliation issues and recommending and influencing the implementation of process improvements and tools solutions to correct and mitigate these.
- Effective collaboration with the People, Legal, Accounting, FP&A, and business units on general payroll and equity matters with cross functional impact. This specifically, but is not limited to, new hire processes, cash and equity compensation programs, bonus and other non-recurring payment processing, terminations processes, commissions program changes, benefits programs and general business expansions that impact Accounting processes. Influencing the outcome to optimize the trade-off between stakeholder satisfaction and time to market with the global payroll needs for effectiveness and efficiency of processing and reconciliation.
- Build a network of peers and participate in industry groups to establish a benchmark for “best in class” payroll and commissions related efficiency and effectiveness. Develop and drive a vision and detailed roadmap to ensure Airtable payroll, commissions and stock functions meet current and future business needs and stay competitive with “best in class” standards. Actively participate with the wider Controllership team in driving the People and Finance Systems roadmap, appropriately prioritizing initiatives and helping to ensure automated solutions are implemented timely and effectively.
- Assist with or be responsible for other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned.
Who you are
- 10 or more years relevant work experience in payroll, commissions and equity comp including 5 or more years of management experience with proven results for building and leading highly effective teams
- Experience with Payrolls larger than 1,500 employees and both exempt and nonexempt employees, both multi-state and global payroll
- Experience with tax equalization and a strong understanding of payroll and equity matters with employee mobility cases
- Power user level experience with multiple payroll, commissions and equity automation tools and ERP systems. Prior NetSuite and ADP required, Workday experience a strong plus
- Experience in interacting with external parties including auditors and other service providers.
What we offer
- We have your medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered (and your dependents covered at 65%)
- Complimentary One Medical membership for individuals and dependents
- High deductible health plan with health spend account contribution
- $250 monthly wellness stipend for you to invest in your overall wellness
- Mental health support
- Family planning support (fertility, adoption, and surrogacy)
- Generous vacation and sick time
- 16 weeks of parental leave
- Learning & Development: we offer a $2,000 per year stipend for your personal career development
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 250,000 organizations around the world. Our most recent funding round valued Airtable at $5.77 billion and raised $270 million in additional capital, and we're just getting started!