AirMap is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team with 7+ years in software development and experience designing and shipping RESTful APIs and scalable cloud applications. This hands-on position is an opportunity to individually contribute to all aspects of the software process: including architecture, specification reviews, automated testing, implementation, code reviews, debugging, and documentation.
What’s it like to work at AirMap?
AirMap is the world’s leading airspace services platform for unmanned aircraft. Developed by experts in technology, aviation, and policy, AirMap’s family of APIs and SDKs are used by nearly 80% of the world’s drones to exchange dynamic information, creating a safe and efficient environment in low-altitude airspace.
Based in our Santa Monica office, you will work closely with a small, nimble, globally distributed cross-functional team of platform architects and software engineers passionate about the challenges of contextual airspace and delivering the future of unmanned flight.
AirMap has offices in Santa Monica and Berlin with employees across the globe. We value thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues and are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
In this role you will:
- Design, build, test, and maintain scalable APIs, services, and systems within the AirMap Platform.
- Participate in all aspects of the product lifecycle, from ideation to design to specification to release.
- Debug issues on all parts of the stack and improve our automated testing practices.
- Communicate closely with small, nimble, globally distributed cross-functional teams.
- Maintain a holistic view of our platform, identifying sensible, simple, and elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Continually work to improve our engineering standards, processes, and tooling.
- Own projects end-to-end as an individual contributor while collaborating with the wider team on key architectural decisions.
You may work on projects like:
- Creating an API that allows developers to sign up for AirMap’s platform and integrates with a reverse proxy to manage authentication keys, ACL grouping and rate limiting.
- Refactoring a map tile service to function more efficiently under heavy load.
- Building a real-time telemetry pipeline capable of streaming thousands of simultaneous drone flights over gRPC.
- Designing a route-planning service that helps drones navigate intelligently while considering factors like 3D terrain, obstacles, and weather.
You may be a good fit if some of the following describe you:
- You’ve been employed as a software engineer for 7+ years.
- You have a solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms, and a deftness at object-oriented design and systems architecture.
- You know SQL and have worked with a variety of relational databases (and probably some NoSQL solutions too).
- You get excited about developing cloud applications and data pipelines that value automation, testing, and security.
- You’ve built and maintained public-facing RESTful and/or gRPC APIs that are designed to be used at scale. You know container technologies inside and out and have experience building distributed applications and microservices with tools like Docker and Kubernetes.
- You understand the most popular solutions offered by cloud providers like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud, and know when to use which tool for the job (and when to build your own).
- You maintain a nuanced understanding of the tradeoffs in technical decisions, and have the ability to make pragmatic, well-reasoned recommendations in the face of risk and uncertainty.
- You enjoy communicating complex technical issues to cross-functional teams and seek to engage in a culture of curiosity and healthy debate.
Bonus points if:
- You have experience with mapping technologies and handling geospatial data.
- You’ve managed platform services in a multi-cloud environment.
- You’ve done UI development with frameworks like React, Angular, or Vue.
- You’ve worked in a distributed environment that values asynchronous communication.
- You love drones and are excited about the future of autonomous flight.
AirMap provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, parental or pregnancy status, veteran status or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, AirMap complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which AirMap has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.