Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 191 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
We are looking for an experienced, proven, and passionate leader who is experienced in leading, managing, and developing a large, multi-location, high complexity trust and safety operation, and driving the team to achieve operational excellence. We expect this leader to embrace and prioritize diversity and inclusion. This leader will need to be successful in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment in which Safety and Fraud prevention is the top priority, and must understand how to support a team consisting of diverse roles, responsibilities, and skill sets across the globe.
This role will drive a compelling vision based on their deep functional expertise in Trust and Safety and and/or Customer Service Operations while working collaboratively across senior functional leadership across Trust and Airbnb leadership.
- Single owner of setting the Trust Operations strategy and objectives within the broader Trust and Airbnb strategy, and collaborating with Trust Product and Community Policy to execute the strategy through our global operations network.
- Develop an operations organization comprising front line specialists, project managers, analysts, product support specialists, and managers across payment fraud, account and content integrity, regulatory and standards compliance enforcement, offline safety risk, identity and user background screenings operations, along with any future areas developed or integrated.
- Lead an international operations organization that is based in the US (Portland, SF, Seattle, remote), Dublin, and Singapore, with outsource Partners in various global locations.
- Drive alignment, collaboration and communication with wider functional stakeholder groups across Product, Finance, Community Support Functional Groups, and other parts of Airbnb that impact Trust Partner Operations.
- Lead the Trust Operations outsource partner strategy team responsible for analysis, reporting, and RCA of partner spend and loss budgets in excess of $30M annually
- Lead and/or participate in Trust Operations-specific and/or company wide projects that may be assigned by leadership
- Embrace new technologies/trends and innovation and build for the long term through multi year planning.
- Be a domain expert in all aspects of scaled operations
- Develop and grow leaders, attract and retain strong talent within the operations organization
Behaviors & Competencies
- Managing Vision & Purpose: You can articulate a compelling, inclusive vision for the future that anticipates trends and possibilities. You're a determined optimist whose optimism is contagious. You get others excited about your outlook and invested in its success. You recruit enthusiastic support. You acknowledge the importance and impact of your team's work, and you can clearly communicate the ways it contributes to Airbnb’s mission. You recognize what drives your audience and can steer them toward a common goal.
- Taking Initiative: You understand the importance of working hard, and you're willing to invest your energy into new challenges. If you see an opportunity to contribute or make things better, you take it—you don't wait around to be asked. You're comfortable acting with minimal planning, direction, and supervision. You can identify issues both within and outside of your immediate scope, and propose solutions.
- Business Acumen: You see the “big picture” of our organization. You understand how the key drivers of our business relate to each other, and how your actions and decisions impact Airbnb's key objectives. You're aware of the current trends in our industry, and can propose improvements to keep up with changing market demands. You're forward-thinking. You understand the cost drivers that underlie our teams and the teams we interact with. You understand your department's KPIs and know how to quickly find information on current performance.
- Balancing Perspectives: You look at the "big picture," not just the situation directly in front of you. You're open to being wrong, can assess situations objectively, and can evaluate multiple points of view. You're able to see how every part of the business is affected by a situation, and you devise plans and strategies accordingly. You think globally, and take the broadest possible view of issues and challenges. You assume positive intent. You effectively consider all of the factors at play and envision many possible outcomes.
- Prioritization and Resource Management : You are able to effectively work with your product management counterparts to help prioritize the most important roadmap items as well as operational improvements. You can allocate resources to the highest priority problems. You are able to make tradeoffs considering all the relevant factors and communicate/evangelize your decisions to stakeholders
- Communication and leadership presence: You are able to communicate and advocate for your team’s needs and priorities with your cross functional stakeholders to make sure that the Trust roadmap and strategy reflects a strong operations voice and sets the team up for success.
- 10-12+ years of progressively responsible leadership experience in a large, globally dispersed trust and safety or customer service operations.
- A proven track record of managing performance across a matrixed organization that covers a wide range of geographies, languages, time zones, etc
- Expert level and creative performance results storyteller with strong analytical skills and the ability to clarify and prioritize using data.
- Deep understanding of Trust and Safety and/or Customer Service Operations and all functional areas that interface at partners with ability to shape/input functional strategies
- Ability to work under conditions of ambiguity in a fast-growth, sometimes uncertain and complex environment - comfortable acting with minimal planning, direction, and supervision. You can identify issues both within and outside of your immediate scope, and propose solutions.
- Model Airbnb core values in how you do your job each day, with an emphasis on Diversity and Inclusion.
- Proven Track record of people development, employee engagement and people manager skills.