This role is based in Bangkok, Thailand.
The Head of Risk Management and Controls is a critical role with global scale. You will report directly to Agoda’s CFO and will sit on the Agoda Finance Leadership team. You will lead a team of Specialists to act as one critical line of defense with respect to risk management for overall Agoda.
The overall Agoda Company is an innovative online travel agency (OTA). As such, Agoda is constantly expanding its reach through strategic innovations and data-driven experimentations. This allows us to stretch ourselves and get on (and in some cases, create) the next big waves. As a key stakeholder and enabler of the overall Agoda business, the Agoda Finance team must play a unique role in balancing risk management without stiffening the innovations and growth.
This role is about balance. In order to play this balancing role effectively, the leader we’re looking for is a curious, dynamic, and fast learner with strong business intuitions, who’s also able to spot potential risks even as early as the design phase of a new project/innovation. This leader must have the ability to gain trust from his/her various business partners to ensure a seat at the table, while also proactively put in measures to manage the associated risks on behalf of overall Agoda. This is not a policing role, but rather one that is a team player and looks out for the best outcome of everyone, including for the company’s shareholders.
As the Head of Risk Management and Controls, your business partners will span the entire range of functional areas such as Product, Info Technology, Marketing, Pricing, Partners Services, Customer Services, including various functions of the Finance team. In addition, you would be expected to navigate effectively up and down various levels within various departments to understand and (in many cases) design the business processes and internal controls to ensure overall compliance and appropriate business risk management.
The successful candidate for this role would enjoy the immense amount of exposure including the full suite of agoda’s Senior Leadership Team. You would be the guardian of agoda’s Enterprise Risk Management and would operate as the Secretary of agoda’s newly-formed Risk Committee. In this capacity, you will be interacting with a holistic list of departments and functions at Agoda, various key stakeholders at all levels, and a well-rounded understanding of the overall Agoda business. In addition, you will let your people management skills shine through (and/or continue to develop them to the next level) through managing your own team of Specialists as well as influencing various business partners.
In summary, this is a perfect role for an ambitious leader who wants to master the in-and-outs of a fast-growing, innovative eCommerce company, whilst contributing a tremendous amount of impact in balancing the risks and growth of the company. Ability to see the big picture whilst also able to zoom in and out of (and manage) the details is critical.
Key areas of responsibility will include, but are not limited to:
- Define the Enterprise Risk Management framework that suits agoda’s needs; continue to adapt it to the evolving needs of agoda
- Operate as the Secretary to agoda’s Risk Committee; propose monthly agenda for Risk Committee meetings, develop issues log and incident reporting processes, coordinate across various risk functions at agoda, e.g, ethics and compliance at Legal, privacy at Legal, security at IT, etc. to raise issues for Risk Committee’s attention
- Define a risk screen that enables agoda to properly analyze potential risk exposures for all new innovations; help design mitigation plans or controls mechanism
- Analyze (and/or design) business processes and other business compliance topics to identify risks and control weaknesses
- Identify controls that are currently in place, as well as any control gaps, based on identified risks
- Provide guidance and support to your business partners (e.g., process owners) in designing and implementing appropriate controls to strengthen control environment and mitigate risks
- Assist in the implementation of, and ongoing compliance with the COSO-ERM 2017 Framework
- Assist with documentation of processes by collaborating with process owners and control performers
- Develop and maintain comprehensive documentation including flow charts, process narratives and risk and control matrices, segregation of duties matrices and any others required
- Maintain adequate internal control environment
- Develop and deliver presentations, tailored to audience at various levels and business function regarding impact of internal controls, processes & business compliance
- Co-ordinate with audits for both Internal and External audit teams
- Support Internal and External audit teams to ensure that remediation plans are implemented on a timely basis for any deficiencies found
- Research and understand all relevant compliance regulations to ensure process owners are aware of anything that could impact them
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree preferably in Accounting or Finance
- Excellent knowledge of auditing various business operations and risk-based auditing attained through minimum of 10 years of progressive work experience
- Previous experience in a compliance, process, quality or risk control role; experience in setting up and operating Enterprise Risk Management a plus
- Proven success in improving risk management, preferably in a fast-moving eCommerce environment
- Thorough understanding of internal control concepts (e.g. SOX & COSO) and experience in applying them in various business areas/functions
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designation highly desirable
- Ability to work independently, productively and part of a team
- Strong Communication Skills with fluency in English (other languages a plus)
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Visio
- Finance experience preferred, E-commerce or travel industry experience a plus
Skills & Competencies:
- High level of integrity is a MUST
- Superior influencing skills, particularly when without actual management authority
- An eye to spot control risks with an intuition of risk prioritization
- Curious, creative and innovative, particularly in design proper controls without stiffening the business growth
- Flexibility to adapt to an ever-evolving and dynamic work environment
- Self-starter with strong sense of responsibility
- Quick thinker and confident in decision making
- Process, problem solving and action orientated mindset
- Good analytical skills with strong attention to detail
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- Professional “get it done” attitude and strong work ethics
- Curious, creative and innovative
#seattle #singapore #amsterdam #seoul #taipei #dublin #washingtondc #shanghai #newyorkcity #london #sanfrancisco #munich #chicago #tokyo #boston #hongkong #kualalumpur #brussels #paris #frankfurt #FIN #5 #LI-SE1