Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating System, regional and national grocery retailers have placed $1.6 billion in produce orders across the US and we've helped our partners prevent 34 million pounds of food from going to waste. Working at Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by leveraging uncommonly impactful software – we hope you'll join us!
About the role
Our people are our greatest asset in helping us grow and achieving our ambitious mission of improving human and environmental health. As Afresh’s VP of People, you will shape the vision and strategic direction of our culture (we’ve grown exponentially year over year) while driving the growth, development, and retention of our world-class team. You will be our CEO’s (Matt Schwartz) right hand regarding all things people, and you will bring empathetic, strong, data driven opinions on what strategic moves we should make and when. Partnering with our leadership team, you will help us grow and scale while sustaining our focus on impact, innovation, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
If having a huge impact on our planet, people, and your company is important, reach out!
What your first year will look like:
- You’ll join our Leadership Team and work to develop, communicate, and execute a People strategy that solves current problems and prepares us for future growth
- Partner with our CEO to define and drive a high empathy, high accountability culture
- Identify areas where Afresh as a company needs to improve, and make suggestions
- Drive strong employee engagement for remote and on-site employees
- Craft effective hiring and retention policies
- Evolve our Professional Development program that develops our talent and makes Afresh a place for enhanced career growth and advancement
- Double down on our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Belonging efforts and ensure Afresh is an incredible place for anyone and everyone to work at
- Develop ongoing Learning and Development programs for all employees to better enable our organization and provide ongoing career development
- Launch efforts to up-skill people managers across the organization
Skills and experience
- 10+ years experience growing and managing multiple functions within the HR/People Org (compensation, benefits, L&D, Talent Acquisition, onboarding, workplace, engagement, etc)
- Experience designing and leading DEI initiatives with proven results for hiring, promotion, and retention
- You’ve led companies through the startup complexities of rapid scaling and love it!
- Ability to work in ambiguity and anticipate challenges and solutions before they arise
- Demonstrated success in conception and implementation of cultural and process cornerstones
- Ability to make difficult or unpopular decisions ethically and rationally using data and logic
- You approach challenges with creativity and curiosity; you’ve seen what good looks like and want to do better
- For this role, a qualified candidate must be willing to relocate or currently reside locally to our San Francisco office and be willing to work onsite as needed.
Founded in 2017, Afresh is working on the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste. By combining human insight and transformative technology, we're helping grocers provide fresher food to customers at more affordable prices.
Afresh sits at an incredible intersection of positive social impact, rocket ship financial growth, and cutting-edge technology. Our best-in-class AI research has been published in top journals including ICML, and we've raised over $148 million in funding from investors including former co-CEO of Whole Foods Market Walter Robb and Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors.
Fresh is the past, present, and future of our food system – the waste we create today will impact our planet for years to come. Join us as we continue to build a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values of proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Here at Afresh, many of our employees work remotely provided that they reside in one of the following states: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MT, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, TX, WA, WI. However, there may be key roles that will require a candidate/employee to be local to our San Francisco, CA office. In which case this requirement will be included in the job posting details under "Skills and experience" for reference.