Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating System, regional and national grocery retailers have placed $1.6 billion in produce orders across the US and we've helped our partners prevent 6.9 million pounds of food from going to waste. Working at Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by leveraging uncommonly impactful software – we hope you'll join us!
About the role
Our Data team plays a critical role in this mission by writing code that processes customer-provided data to power both the ordering application and the recommendations within, allowing us to optimize our grocery partner's ordering and business processes. Our customers give us large amounts of data, and ensuring that our system can accurately, reliably and scalably process that data is key to our success. If you're interested in building software to support our mission, we hope you'll join us!
- Write production code to implement fast, reliable, scalable data pipelines in Python (and Pandas and Spark) and SQL to process billions of historical data points collected from tens of thousands of retail stores across the US
- Design, build, scale, and deploy our ETL pipelines (built in PySpark on Databricks) and data platform (powered by a combination of Postgres, Snowflake, Delta Lakes) that power our recommendation engine and ordering system
- Work closely with Afresh internal stakeholders, solution architects, and our customers to understand how to transform customer data, define business logic and ensure data quality
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of experts in machine learning, data science, design, software engineering, and business operations to drive and implement solutions to ensure data accuracy and quality
- Independently analyze and find issues in the data and work with internal stakeholders to either clearly communicate high-priority issues to the customer or find novel workarounds to extract the signal we need from customer data
- Monitor, analyze, and understand the data flowing through our system by adding the necessary visualizations and dashboards
Skills and experience
The following represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
- Ability to identify a problem or area of improvement, design and solution and see it through to implementation
- Strong understanding and experience with various data stores (databases, data warehouses, key/value stores, etc.). Experience with Pandas, Apache Spark, or other Big Data frameworks and cloud infrastructure preferred
- Experienced architecture & design of data driven solutions
- Strong problem-solving ability and ability to work through ambiguity and incomplete specifications
- Dedication to code quality, testing, design processes, automation, and operational excellence
- Excellent written, verbal communication and collaboration skills
Founded in 2017, Afresh is working on the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste. By combining human insight and transformative technology, we're helping grocers provide fresher food to customers at more affordable prices.
Afresh sits at an incredible intersection of positive social impact, rocket ship financial growth, and cutting-edge technology. Our best-in-class AI research has been published in top journals including ICML, and we've raised over $30 million in funding from investors including Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors and James McCann (former CEO Tesco, Ahold, Carrefour). In 2021, we received an Honorable Mention for Fast Company's World Changing Ideas in Food.
Fresh is the past, present, and future of our food system – the waste we create today will impact our planet for years to come. Join us as we continue to build a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values of proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
A qualified candidate must reside in or be willing to relocate to one of these states to be considered: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, TX, WA, WI