Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
The Payments Engineering team is responsible for building the systems which power financial transactions at Affirm, from our consumer scale lending products to enterprise money movements. We are looking for a highly motivated Engineering Manager to define and drive the Payments Instruments team as a part of Affirm’s Payments platform. You will work to integrate industry leading payment processors and banking partners, abstracting the complexity into scalable and fault tolerant services to other Affirm engineering teams.
Affirm is growing fast and we’re looking for an engineering manager to help guide the team to scale our products to 10x and beyond through building world-class systems which enable Affirm in its mission to provide honest financial products which improve lives.
What You’ll Do
- Develop a deep understanding of the payments industry.
- Manage a team focused on a particular area, providing technical leadership for the team, while having a detailed understanding of our business, company goals, roadmap and resource plans.
- Drive planning and prioritization of projects based on product, technical, and business goals by demonstrating relevant resources and data.
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams, product managers, designers and analysts to deliver high quality consumer experience.
- Coach and mentor employees to increase their impact through regular performance development and feedback conversations.
- Foster a respectful and supportive environment for all team members that effectively maximizes the diversity of the team.
- Partner with Product managers on building beautiful internal APIs to enable payments across our products.
What We Look For
- This is a perfect role for someone to take the first steps into Engineering Management.
- 4-6+ years of experience as a software engineer with leadership responsibilities and 0-2 years as an engineering manager.
- Eager to learn new things and have a growth mindset.
- Experience with Payments systems and vendors.
- Fluency in back end development.
- Familiarity with Python, AWS, and Kubernetes is a plus.
- Prior experience architecting, building, launching and maintaining consumer scale products.
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills.
- Experienced at synthesizing complex business, product, and technical requirements to consistently produce high quality system designs and software.
- Humble and authentic leadership which places the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible.
- Experience scaling systems in a service oriented architecture preferred but not required.
- Humility and self-awareness to understand and navigate the unknown.
USA Pacific base pay range (CA, WA, NY, NJ, CT): $190,000 - $284,900
USA Sapphire base pay range (all other U.S. states): $171,000 - $256,500
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
[For U.S. Candidates] All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account. The grade for this position is noted above and in accordance with various U.S. pay transparency laws, we provide the base pay range and benefits for our U.S.-based positions in the links below:
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.