Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
Affirm’s engineering team is building a large-scale, fault-tolerant, and global infrastructure that is shared across multiple financial products. Ensuring that our infrastructure is available to all engineers is critical to the success of the business. We pride ourselves on our culture across engineering of writing blameless postmortems as well as writing detailed tech specs and gathering feedback before large changes to systems.
The Online Storage team provides a set of managed databases as a platform, used to persist data for all Affirm services. Our platform automates operations and development of services on top of storage systems like AWS Aurora (MySQL), DynamoDB and S3. As a team, we are responsible for various data and access patterns, including but not limited to mission-critical financial transactional data, data science models, and any new persistence use case requiring us to learn and gain deep expertise in various database systems.
What you’ll do
As a member of Online Storage infrastructure team, you will collaborate with other teams - including product, infrastructure and site reliability engineering(SRE) to:
- Design, build and highly durable and strongly consistent database as service architecture
- Design, build and own an infrastructure platform that provides critical support for operating database systems at scale.
- Design and build solutions for challenges such as multi-region, active resharding and globally available services.
- Collaborate with other teams on their database needs and provide continuous guidance on design and architecture.
- Participating in an on-call rotation and collaborate with other teams such as SRE to solve production issues.
You will also have the opportunity to learn bleeding edge open source technologies like Kubernetes and Vitess as we build the future of Affirm’s data storage platform.
What we look for
You are a self-motivated, pragmatic, and curious engineer who wants to work with stateful distributed systems at scale.
- Ability to empathize with your customers and understand their needs to build the best infrastructure platform as a product.
- Desire to help your team learn and grow
- Experience or desire of designing and owning fault-tolerant, multi-region online backend systems.
- Proven CS fundamentals and hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go, or JVM-based languages (Java, Kotlin, Scala)
- You evaluate and incorporate business needs into your technical solutions.
- A desire for using, enhancing, and contributing to Open Source solutions rather than building solutions from ground up.
- Familiarity working in Database, SRE, or Infrastructure teams in the past is a Plus. We use storage technologies such as MySQL, Kafka, Cassandra or others.
- Familiarity with Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA) is a plus. We use technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, gRPC, Envoy, Istio, Celery/RabbitMQ, and NGINX, but we are always looking for new technologies to adopt.
Location - Remote U.S.
Grade - USA29
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.