Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
Affirm has a rapidly growing engineering team as we build honest financial products through advanced machine learning, extensive data modeling, a culture of rapid innovation backed by strong reliability and performance SLAs.
The Senior Principal Engineer is the technical leader of Affirm’s Consumer Product Team. You own the architecture, technical roadmap, and delivery of innovative products for the Consumer Product Team.
What you'll do
- Drive the long-term vision and architecture of the Consumer product and Affirm’s ecosystem.
- Champion innovative, scalable, and delightful solutions across the engineering organization
- Promote a strong culture of innovation, drive evaluation, development and roll out of new technologies/frameworks. Actively research, brainstorm, prototype, and present ideas.
- Establish architecture, technical design, and code review standards, coach team members to conduct effective design and code reviews. Ensure high programming standards, create best practices, and lead by example.
- Provide technical guidance and influence in other areas of the Engineering (for example, Security, Test Engineering, Infrastructure)
- Lead technical teams to develop end-to-end solutions for complex problems, interfacing with multiple services and platforms, and multiple external organizations.
- Partner with Product Management, provide technical input to shape product direction and roadmap.
- Lead the organization by hiring, coaching, managing, and supporting a team of senior engineering leaders in technical contributor roles.
- Foster a culture of technical excellence, humility, constant improvement, and rigor to build a team that can confidently tackle complex challenges across multiple technical domains.
- Provide leadership in development of a technical architecture and strategy for a complex and quickly growing business and serve a broader engineering team.
What we look for
- Strong experience leading engineering organizations, across multiple product lines, to deliver high quality software.
- Track record of successfully leading engineering teams at both rapidly scaling startups and complex larger technology companies.
- Expertise in synthesizing complex technical requirements, designs, trade-offs, and capabilities into clear decisions, and influence product direction.
- Ability to communicate decisions and practices to the engineering organization effectively.
- Extensive experience building and owning large-scale, highly available consumer product.
- Track record of successfully mentoring and developing technical leaders
- Masters + 18 years or PhD + 15 years experience designing and software solutions.
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
[For U.S. Candidates] All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account. The grade for this position is noted above and in accordance with various U.S. pay transparency laws, we provide the base pay range and benefits for our U.S.-based positions in the links below:
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.