Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
As the Director, Merchant Care, you will be responsible for the management and leadership of our Merchant Care Department (expansive of US & international teams) to support transactional lending and banking processes on behalf of our merchants. The types of functions the team manages include advanced merchant cases, product bugs & issues, disputes, credit furnishing, and compliance adherence. You will develop, lead and implement a strategic vision for the department and team. With partnership from numerous Operations partners, you will own the effectiveness of processes, tools, and reporting required to operate and scale all relevant merchant care activities.
You will lead a group of passionate and motivated service professionals to achieve targets and create phenomenal merchant experiences! You will mentor, develop and lead the team to resolve complex inquiries and process exception cases in an accurate and timely manner. You are instrumental in ensuring the team achieves overall business objectives including efficiency, accuracy and merchant satisfaction targets.
What You'll Do:
- Advise and implement the vision and strategy for the Merchant Care function in achievement of company goals in partnership with Operation Leadership
- Deliver on defined Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and performance measures against company goals
- Develop a successful team of Managers, Leads & Specialists in a growth environment including developing the team for future changes, leading the team’s change resilience and minimizing performance impacts associated with change
- Work with finance and planning and analytics, accountable for the maintenance of and adherence to a Merchant Care headcount plan, budget, and cost mitigation and/or investment initiatives
- Drive employee engagement and an inspiring culture ensuring effective performance management, mentoring, and development and crafting an environment where people can excel through accountability, support and empowerment
- Demonstrate a data driven approach to supervising the function, including establishing effective critical metrics, key performance indicators,and other leading/lagging indicators which provide insight into the efficiency of the function and changes in risk profile
- Consistently improve the merchant experience across our key channels and products by advocating for the voice of the merchant across internal partners, to ensure that resources are invested in improving the merchant satisfaction and enabling scale
- Use strong presentation and interpersonal skills to report findings and recommendations to operations leadership
- Identify and implement groundbreaking changes to generate efficiencies and drive better merchant experiences while ensuring the teams adheres to regulatory and compliance requirements
- Keep ahead of industry developments and apply standard methodologies to areas of improvement
What We Look For:
- 7 years+ of confirmed experience in operations people management with previous experience working in financial services, fintech, or a complex operational or transactional processing role preferred
- Experience scaling and building operational teams, including people, processes, program, and case management tooling
- A strong leader, doer, motivator, and decision-maker with consistent track record working efficiently with people at all levels
- Results driven, forward thinking approach with ability to problem-solving complex issues to drive shared goals and outcomes across internal and external teams
- Able to develop and optimally articulate a vision & strategy as well as communicate strategic direction
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative data to formulate concrete insights and compile information in a structured, logical manner
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.