Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Affirm’s engineering team is building a large-scale, fault-tolerant, and global infrastructure that is shared across multiple financial products. Ensuring that our infrastructure is available to all engineers is critical to the success of the business. We pride ourselves on our culture across engineering of writing blameless postmortems as well as writing detailed tech specs and gathering feedback before large changes to systems.
The Online Storage team provides a set of managed databases as a platform, used to persist data for all Affirm services. Our platform automates operations and development on services on top of storage systems like AWS Aurora (MySQL), DynamoDB, and S3. As a team, we are responsible for various data and access patterns, including but not limited to mission-critical financial transactional data, data science models, and any new persistence use case requiring us to learn and gain deep expertise in various database systems.
What you’ll do
As a member of the Online Storage infrastructure team, you will collaborate with other teams - including product, infrastructure, and site reliability engineering(SRE) to:
- Leading and mentoring engineers to define and execute on a roadmap aligned with stakeholder needs
- Design, build, and a highly durable and strongly consistent structured datastore solution.
- Design, build and own an infrastructure platform that provides critical support for operating database systems at scale.
- Design and build structured storage solutions that solve for multi-region, active resharding, and globally available services.
- Collaborate with other teams on their database needs and provide continuous guidance on design and architecture.
- Participating in an on-call rotation and collaborating with other teams such as SRE to solve production issues.
You will also have the opportunity to learn bleeding edge open source technologies like Kubernetes and Vitess as we build the future of Affirm’s data storage platform.
What we look for
You are a self-motivated, pragmatic, and curious engineer who wants to work with stateful distributed systems at scale.
- Ability to empathize with your customers and understand their needs to build the best infrastructure platform as a product.
- Experience and a desire to help your team learn and grow.
- You evaluate and incorporate business needs into your technical solutions.
- Experience with designing and owning highly available, fault-tolerant, multi-region online backend systems using cloud storage services.
- Strong understanding of CS fundamentals such as Distributed Systems, Database Systems, Operating Systems, algorithms, and data structures. Hands-on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go, or JVM-based languages (Java, Kotlin, Scala).
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or other cloud providers.
- You prefer using, enhancing, and contributing to Open Source solutions rather than building solutions from the ground up.
- At least one of:
- Experience working in Database, SRE, or Infrastructure teams in the past, or have operated a distributed data storage system such as MySQL, Kafka, Cassandra, or others.
- Experience with Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA). We use technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, gRPC, Envoy, Istio, Celery/RabbitMQ, and NGINX, but we are always looking for new technologies to adopt.
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.