Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
We are looking for a hardworking, driven Senior Manager, Accounting Operations to join our growing Accounting team. In this role, you will lead and manage the daily operations of the accounting team. You must be hands on and willing to take ownership. You must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) to establish credibility and facilitate an effective working relationship with a wide range of company representatives. This is a high visibility role with great opportunities to make a meaningful and immediate impact.
What you'll do
- Direct and oversee the accounting operations team, including Procure to Pay function (AP), Treasury Accounting (Wires, checks, ACHs), Customer Success Accounting (Customer refunds, deposits and unclaimed property), Merchant Success Accounting (Merchant invoicing and AR) and Travel & Expense with a focus on internal controls, standardizing processes, close optimization and accuracy
- Assess, streamline, and improve operational accounting policies and procedures to ensure efficiency and cost effectiveness
- Liaise and participate in workflow design with other system administrators on processes, policies, systems and compliance
- Own aspects of the month-end close process, including reviewing journal entries, ensuring key account balances are fully reconciled, and reviewing supporting schedules
- Manage monthly financial report creation and perform variance analysis to support budgetary control and financial statement accuracy and completeness
- Ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley 404 internal control policies and procedures, implement and document internal controls timely and accurately, and collaborate to revise and enhance internal control policies and procedures as needed
- Partner cross-functionally with other teams, such as General Ledger, Financial Reporting, Tax, and Finance, to ensure timely and accurate reporting of financial results
- Coordinate with external auditors and ensure support and information requests are provided timely for quarterly reviews and annual financial audits
- Provide leadership to strengthen the accounting operations team with a commitment to recruiting, training and mentoring of staff
What we look for
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance. CPA a nice to have
- A minimum of 8+ years accounting and finance experience
- Recent experience as a Senior Accounting Manager or Corporate Accounting Manager of a rapidly growing startup is a plus
- Financial systems knowledge and expertise and familiarity with financial business applications. Coupa, Concur and NetSuite preferred
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills, high energy, initiative and creativity - with a proven ability to manage significant initiatives across the organization, as well as develop and motivate staff
- An orientation toward process and detail mindedness. Strong analytical and quantitative skills and superior accounting skills
- Clear and confident communicator, both written and verbally
- The desire to improve broken processes and make your own job easier over time
- Passion for Affirm and a strong interest in technology
- Proficient knowledge of MS Excel, Word and GSuite
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.