Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
The Compute team builds the infrastructure that engineers at Affirm rely on to run workloads for our fast growing user/merchant base, at scale, across multiple countries. The team is currently driving an extensive overhaul of our Compute infrastructure and moving to Kubernetes-based infra. We’re building powerful new features that will allow Affirm Engineering to provision, test, deploy and adapt to the various technical challenges our teams face - from scaling for customers and merchants, to serving ML models, fighting fraud and more. The team is highly visible, and is a key contributor to our availability and developer productivity goals, playing a crucial role in powering Affirm’s growth!
Affirm’s broader Platform & Infrastructure Engineering organization provides shared infrastructure and frameworks for the Product engineering teams. The goals are to build and provide software, systems and tools that allow the rest of engineering to produce and deploy software that is scalable, reliable, secure, accurate, consistent, instrumented and well tested.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with tech-leads, management, and other stakeholders across the organization to craft, implement, and help build roadmaps and set vision for the team.
- Help build our compute infrastructure with meaningful principles such as - operability, availability, region failover and building cell architectures for failure isolation
- Build features into the system to make it resilient - handling scale (both organic growth and traffic spikes), stability and performance challenges as well as supporting multi-region expansion
- Craft a system that allows engineers to operate the system safely and securely with our high security and compliance standards in mind
- Develop self-service tooling to automate processes that support rapid provisioning to help Affirm engineers spin-up and operate their services with ease
- Mentor engineers in the team and drive standard methodologies around design and quality
What we look for
- Solid CS fundamentals and hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go and JVM-Based languages) is good to have.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes (or other container orchestration systems)
- Experience with design and managing cloud-based services, at scale in production environments.
- A keen eye for crafting easy-to-use, customer-focused systems that other engineers will use to manage their compute infrastructure
- You prefer using, improving and contributing to open source solutions over building solutions from the ground up.
- Experience with (or want to learn about) operating databases, system internals, file-systems, security, network, concurrency frameworks and distributed systems
- Unquenchable thirst for learning new things.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.