Affirm’s Enterprise Risk team provides an enterprise-wide view of risks, assists management in identifying and monitoring risks that may affect multiple business areas, and takes appropriate action when business activities exceed the risk tolerance of the company. Enterprise Risk establishes the risk framework and standards and provides guidance for risk management activities across the company.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Affirm’s Enterprise Risk team. We’re seeking a VP, Enterprise & Operational Risk to lead and administer the risk programs within Enterprise Risk and the achievement of mitigating operational risk and minimizing the losses associated with them. Based in San Francisco, the role will report to the Chief Legal Officer and will work multi-functionally with other teams. In this role you will serve as a subject matter expert tasked with educating and guiding the business units to help identify risks and controls, as well as to assist in the development, improvement and management of Third Party Risk Management, Business Continuity, and other risk management programs.
What You'll Do:
- Manage the Enterprise & Operational Risk Management Framework (EORMF) objectives and requirements including: Operational Risk policy and procedure development, Key Risk Indicators (KRIs), Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), technology enhancements, and credible challenge
- Coordinate activities to ensure the effective execution and implementation of the EORMF elements and corresponding risk programs, including but not limited to: Business Continuity, Third Party Risk Management, Issues Management, and Model Governance
- Assess key risks associated with new business initiatives and change management activities, including providing direction and guidance to executive/senior leadership to document approvals and/or objections, where applicable
- Develop operational risk analytics and reporting, including loss data collection
- Review and challenge business operational risks leveraging analytics and documented processes and procedures
- Understand the key processes and functions performed throughout the company
- Be a trusted advisor and leverage subject matter knowledge to drive value added dialogue and informed risk based decisions
- Understand company-wide KRIs, KPIs, and other metrics to identify negative trends and potential risk exposure to advise on potential risk mitigation alternatives
- Provide independent, objective view of the business, mitigation strategies, and emerging risks
- Maintain oversight and reporting of enterprise-wide issues to identify trends, themes and monitor next steps for corrective action plans
- Review internal and external risk events for opportunities to implement new preventive and detective controls
- Undertake targeted and emerging risk assessments across key areas of risk
- Analyze risk concentration areas, risk profiles, and synthesize data from internal and external sources in order to identify operational risk areas which need to be assessed
- Oversee meetings and develop relationships with the business to educate and facilitate the overall creation or improvement of EORMF, where necessary
- Provide risk training and awareness, as well as consultative guidance on risk management program matters
- Draft and build presentations displaying the monthly status of risk management programs (i.e. third party risk, business continuity and other operational risk areas) and assist business units to develop and identify KRIs and KPIs where necessary
- Will work cross-functionally across all business units throughout the company, but very closely with Compliance, Credit Risk, Operations, Technology, Product and Finance.
What We Look For:
- 15+ years of progressive experience in the financial services industry, with specific experience in Enterprise/Operational Risk, Audit, Compliance, or other controls related areas.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to break down complex business processes, analyze potential risks and think outside the box to recommend appropriate solutions.
- Working knowledge of third party oversight, information security, business continuity, etc., compliance, internal audit, and/or regulatory environment preferred.
- Proven ability to anticipate and identify risks and effective mitigants.
- Proven track record of fostering relationships across all levels and operating through influence, with the confidence to formulate, advocate and drive ideas forward
- Proven ability to build, develop and/or enhance an Enterprise & Operational Risk Management Framework
- Experience in developing and delivering well-designed executive presentations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to negotiate, compromise and demonstrate diplomacy in sensitive situations, and to interact effectively with senior management
- Highly disciplined, able to make independent decisions and work with limited supervision while excelling in a fast-paced, dynamic and demanding environment
- Inquisitive nature and comfort challenging current practices
- Experience in leading and delivering cross-functional initiatives, with the ability to collaborate with business and functional experts to provide risk assessment guidance, recognize risks and design enhancements
- A passion for improving the lives of consumers through Affirm’s products
- Humility, integrity and a killer sense of humor; you take your work seriously but not yourself