Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
We're looking for motivated software engineers who will build products and systems that serve our customers, merchant partners, and employees. Our team must maintain utmost efficiency and deliver a seamless experience with every customer interaction and we need passionate engineers to help us do this.
Are you excited about Financial Technology and Software Engineering? Do you want to help build the next generation of Consumer Finance? Several of our engineering teams are hiring and our interview process is designed to make sure we find the best mutual team fit. See below for information on our various engineering teams:
Customer Engagement Team: We focus on building features that help re-engage existing users, encourage repeat use of Affirm products, and provide value to existing customers within our app and marketplace. Some examples of teams are Customer Care, Membership, Offers, and Personalization.
Merchant Engagement Team: We build products for and relationships with our merchants and our partners. In a world where sellers have many choices for payments and financing, we delight them with extraordinary product and service experiences. We make products that are a joy for developers to integrate with, making it easy for Merchants and Partners to unlock the value of being part of Affirm’s network. Software Development teams are primarily tasked with building the experiences, APIs, and other interfaces Merchants use to accept Affirm as a payment method.
Product Scale Team: We are a functionally-aligned organization mandated to build and maintain the technical underpinnings necessary for Affirm product engineering to scale consistent yet configurable product experiences sub-linearly with transaction volume, enabling growth into new verticals and geographies as well as repeat engagement and progressive UX. The team owns all of the consumer-facing UI for Affirm products, as well as Affirm's checkout platform and the server-side frameworks to build highly configurable client-facing APIs.
Finance Engineering Team: We provide a highly consistent and fault-tolerant financial platform that empowers Affirm products. We handle automation of complex financial processes at scale, integrations with banks and payment platforms, and keep Affirm's financial records and assets in order.
Data & Decisions Team: We power Affirm’s data-driven and customer-centric financial products. Our platforms simplify data integration, create/deploy machine learning models, and enable multivariate testing of product changes. Additionally, we build the real-time decision-making systems driving Affirm's financial products; from authentication and identity verification to fraud detection, credit underwriting, and pricing. We are focused on managing our risk exposure, growing our business, and empowering all Affirmers to make better products and experiences for our customers.
Technical Infrastructure Team: Our team is responsible for building awesome products and systems that allow the rest of engineering to produce and deploy software that is scalable, reliable, secure, correct, consistent, and well tested. Technical Infrastructure works with all of our Platform and Product teams to find simple, consistent, clean and scalable solutions to their business requirements.
What you'll do
- Design, implement, and extend core platform services and APIs to enable new products and features to be built
- Architect and build the next version of our data-processing pipeline
- Create 3rd party developer APIs and tools
- Analyze/debug performance issues across distributed services
- Plan, design, and build our core platform software and systems to scale with an increasing number of users, features, business requirements, partners, and new engineers
What we look for
- Passionate: Passionate about Affirm's Mission: "Deliver Honest Financial Products that improve lives"
- Technical: Solid CS fundamentals and fluency of a dynamically typed language. We primarily use Python, but members of our team have backgrounds in a wide range of technologies
- Collaborative: Enjoys cross team collaboration especially with product managers and designers
- Humble: You have the humility and self-awareness to understand and navigate the unknown
- User Focused: Cares about the details in the user experience
- Experienced: Background building real-time distributed web services, developing systems in web application frameworks and implementing highly available data storage
We’re excited to announce that Affirm is now a remote-first company! This role can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of Quebec). Remote based employees may occasionally travel to an Affirm office for meetings or team building events. Our offices in San Francisco, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Salt Lake City will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis.
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here
and our progress thus far in our 2019 D&I report