Aevum, Inc. is an American technology company that designs, develops, and sells autonomous air, space, and package transportation services. The company focuses on autonomous technologies, rapid logistics, e-commerce, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence.
Our Social Mission
Aevum, Inc. was founded to democratize the access to space and directly enable space-based assets that can connect the other half of the world that currently do not have access to the internet. We believe that the right technologies deployed in space can help make the world better and transcend the unity of humankind.
Senior Launch Vehicle Engineer
Huntsville, Alabama; Denver, Colorado
Aevum is seeking a Senior Launch Vehicle Engineer to take full ownership of the Ravn X stage two rocket vehicle from development to flight and beyond. The ideal candidate has hands-on experience designing and developing orbital rocket stages. You will work alongside a multi-disciplinary engineering team to oversee various design and development activities for the Ravn X stage two rocket vehicle, often traveling to observe stage tests against qualification and acceptance test campaigns. Your laser-focused objective is the spaceflight of the Ravn X stage two rocket vehicle.
You will report to the Chief Engineer of Ravn X.
The ideal candidate is also academically astute, inquisitive and relentlessly focused on mission success. This is a fast-paced position. Prior relevant experience is necessary, the ideal candidate must have demonstrated success working with a multi-disciplinary, highly technical teams.
Aevum’s timelines are aggressive and our engineers will be asked to work as hard as necessary. Aevum’s ideal candidate is passionate about making the world better, is a self-starter, and is hungry to do work that matters.
- Design, develop, test, produce, assemble, integrate, fly, and decommission the Ravn X stage two rocket vehicle.
- Write procedures and processes for spaceflight of Ravn X stage two rocket vehicle.
- Lead and motivate a team of highly intelligent rocket engineers - leading by example.
- Develop and oversee analysis activities related to stage two development (pressurization, vehicle startup/shutdown, contingency, flight termination, etc.)
- Derive, originate, and review technical requirements through verification and validation (V&V).
- Perform vehicle level analysis for full duration orbital missions from takeoff to orbit insertion to reentry.
- Review analyzed vehicle loads, flight dynamics analysis results, vehicle control laws and decompose results into technical requirements to ensure stage two performance against analyzed results.
- Review and help develop guidance, navigation, and control (GN&C) of the stage two rocket vehicle.
- Review 3DOF and 6DOF trajectory analysis results and analyze the stage two vehicle design against mission requirements, flagging any driving flight events or changes to technical risk.
- Oversee subsystem projects and lead technical activities to ensure stage two spaceflight to success.
- Conduct design and test reviews of subsystems
- Develop and manage integrated schedules (IS) to ensure timely execution of the Ravn X stage two vehicle program against contracted orbital mission schedules.
- Conduct flight readiness reviews (FRR), Launch readiness reviews (LRR), and lead specific parts of orbital launch campaigns ensuring reliable delivery of spacecraft and satellites to orbit
- Participate in FAA launch licensing activities as needed in support of Aevum's Space Logistics Team.
- Ensure the safe delivery of flight-worthy Ravn X stage two vehicles to spaceports.
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, systems engineering or related technical field
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience developing and integrating launch vehicles
- 7+ years of experience designing or analyzing launch vehicles
- Demonstrated experience with launch vehicle analysis methods and hands-on analysis
- Strong understanding of launch vehicle flight dynamics
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and intense startup environment.
- Demonstrated success designing and flying orbital rocket stages
- Experience successfully passing gated design reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR, FRR, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to determine root cause and implement corrective actions
- Strong mentality toward safety and occupational hazards
- Must be willing to travel as necessary (<25%)
- As needed, must be willing to work extended hours and occasional weekends.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Dental insurance, health insurance, paid time off, vision insurance, stock incentives, bonus potential, great work culture with a chance to be part of a revolutionary team
Weekdays; weekends as necessary
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Employment with Aevum is governed by qualifications, competence, and merit. Employment will not be influenced by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.