This is Adyen
Adyen provides payments, data, and financial products in a single solution for customers like Facebook, Uber, H&M, and Microsoft - making us the financial technology platform of choice. At Adyen, everything we do is engineered for ambition.
For our teams, we create an environment with opportunities for our people to succeed, backed by the culture and support to ensure they are enabled to truly own their careers. We are motivated individuals who tackle unique technical challenges at scale and solve them as a team. Together, we deliver innovative and ethical solutions that help businesses achieve their ambitions faster.
Engineering Manager - Data Platform
Sitting at the intersection of Data Engineering, Backend Engineering, and Systems Engineering; Data Platform Engineers build the foundational layer of tooling and processes for our on-premise Big Data Platforms. These tools support 10s of products, 100s of developers, and 1000s of daily jobs that add to Adyen’s strong portfolio of capabilities. Along with DataOps Engineers, they develop and operate multiple big data platforms, across multiple data centers, which cumulatively cover 1000+ nodes, 60k+ CPU cores, 800+ TBs of RAM, and 50+ PBs of storage capacity.
As an Engineering Manager you’ll be tasked with leading and managing a team of Data Platform Engineers to build, maintain, and iterate on frameworks and tools that do the following:
- Real-time and batch data ingestion pipelines, mainly powered by Kafka.
- Manage ETL lifecycle: introducing, backfilling, evolving, and deprecating. We built our framework in-house on top of Airflow and Deltalake.
- Data contracts to support ownership and evolution of the above.
- Manage code lifecycle: starting from local development in our Python monorepo, through CI (via GitLab), until a change is deployed in staging and eventually production environments.
- Evolve the way our users interact with the data. We currently use Jupyter for this.
- Manage and orchestrate compute – mainly Spark for our ETL jobs, and Trino for BI.
- Manage Hadoop (HDFS/Yarn) and Kubernetes as the foundations of our data platform.
- Think not only on how to evolve this platform, but also how it connects to other platforms and systems in Adyen.
- Observability and operational excellence for the entire above stack.
Sounds like fun? Then this job might be for you.
As an Engineering Manager in the Data Platforms group, you’ll drive the evolution of our Data Platform, and have a significant impact Adyen-wide. You’ll ultimately:
- Inspire, lead, and energize a mixed group of high-performing engineers, including backend engineers, and data engineers, and data platform engineers.
- Craft a strong technical and operational strategy and the roadmap for evolving Adyen’s Data Platform as a whole.
- Lead by example on technical matters and drive appropriate decisions at technical level.
- Work very closely with a Product Manager in order to ship in time and operationalize successful products.
- Mentor, coach and grow team members, also into leadership positions if the opportunity arises.
Who you are
- You have experience leading technical teams in a high-performance tech environment. This includes people management.
- You see your role as an enabler for others and thus you understand that your job is to make the team deliver.
- You are able to communicate complex outcomes with clarity over a wide range of audiences.
- You have a good understanding of Software Engineering practices, as well as Data Engineering and System Engineering principles. Bonus points for previous Platform Engineering experience, especially if Data/DevOps related.
- Our stack is written primarily in Python, with a bit of Java. Fluency in one is appreciated. Knowledge of Go is a nice plus; we don’t use it yet but who knows?
- Extensive knowledge in few of the following:
- DevOps pipelines and development ecosystems
- Container orchestration (Kubernetes, Nomad)
- The Hadoop ecosystem (HDFS, Yarn, Kerberos)
- Distributed compute frameworks (Spark, Dask, Ray)
- Workflow tooling (e.g. Airflow, Flyte, Dagster)
- Data Engineering ecosystems and tooling e.g. Deltalake/Hudi/Iceberg, DataHub.
- Mentality: An experimental mindset with a launch fast and iterate mentality.
- Product oriented mindset. Experience working with product managers in delivering successful products.
Please note that this role is a full-time position in Amsterdam. It will require a relocation in case you live outside of the Netherlands.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments
Our unique approach is a product of our diverse perspectives. This diversity of backgrounds and cultures is essential in helping us maintain our momentum. Our business and technical challenges are unique, and we need as many different voices as possible to join us in solving them - voices like yours. No matter who you are or where you’re from, we welcome you to be your true self at Adyen.
Studies show that women and members of underrepresented communities apply for jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Does this sound like you? If so, Adyen encourages you to reconsider and apply. We look forward to your application!
Ensuring a smooth and enjoyable candidate experience is critical for us. We aim to get back to you regarding your application within 5 business days. Our interview process tends to take about 4 weeks to complete, but may fluctuate depending on the role. Learn more about our hiring process here. Don’t be afraid to let us know if you need more flexibility.