This is a remote position.
Do you believe in doing work that matters? At Ad Hoc, it’s one of our core values. We choose to work on things that make a difference
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our team of experts from across the commercial industry and government brings the modern skills necessary to help agencies transform public services into digital services. Our work enables agencies to meet the needs of their users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Work on things that matter
Working at Ad Hoc means putting your time and skills towards helping the government better serve the public. Our teams connect Veterans with services designed for their needs, help millions of people access affordable health care, and support critical programs like Head Start. As we work with agencies to deliver critical services, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide team since our inception. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to bring the best people onto our teams and gives team members the freedom to create a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to home decor), our work culture acknowledges all the things happening in your life. Tilt the videocam so we can see your pets and kids. Adjust your work schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, you’ve got the freedom to bring great ideas to life while being you.
Ad Hoc values acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We leave our egos at the door to learn from our mistakes and improve the process for the next time. We’re a team that loves the challenge of government-size projects and loves to see our customers succeed. We build small, diverse, inclusive teams to bring the best of consumer technology to the problems of government.
Ad Hoc is looking for a self-driven Staff Software Engineer who enjoys leading cross-functional technical teams of 3 to 6 engineers, and ensures successful delivery for their team. The ideal candidate generally establishes high levels of trust and operates with significant autonomy. This position is reserved for individuals with significant development and leadership experience. Staff Software Engineers are accountable for the code and systems they own, lead the resolution of major issues effectively and direct the evaluation of tradeoffs between implementation complexity and other costs. They have expert-level capabilities in at least one major technology stack.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- As government contractor, all hires may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter
- Some Federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment
- 8+ years of professional software development and a Bachelor of Science Degree
- Our technical screening involves completing our homework assignments exclusively - we do not do any form of whiteboarding in our process.
What You'll Do
- Ensuring effective engineering delivery on their program or team.
- Contributing to and delivering performance reviews with direct reports.
- Developing and presenting monthly reports based on program reporting requirements.
- Shaping the technical direction of their program.
- Managing the technical relationship with the client, and influencing their technical decision-making.
- Demonstrating a deep awareness of how changes they make interact with all components in a broader system. This includes technologies for frontend, backend, infrastructure, usability, and design, as well as varying development, testing, and release methodologies within an organization.
- Planning and executing on roadmaps for new projects without explicit guidance and direction from technical supervisors.
- Actively driving conversations and planning sessions with partners and key stakeholders, and representing the engineering practice while advocating for the best technical solutions and communicating tradeoffs. Ultimately providing significant positive impact to a program’s roadmap.
- Influencing the customer toward successful outcomes by establishing trust through reliable and successful execution and demonstrated competency.
- Providing vision for other engineers within their area of influence, and advocating for that vision while taking into account client requirements.
- Prioritizing high-impact work and delivering on that work over non-critical tasks.
- Periodically traveling to the client site to work with and present to partners and stakeholders as necessary.
- Elaborating and evolving on complex and ambiguous products to uncover new constraints and opportunities.
- Assigning tasks to and monitor the progress of task completion for team members.
- Providing mentorship and guidance to team members through practice, code review, presentations, and architecture. This may include, but isn’t limited to game day design and execution.
- Providing general career development advice to team members, and staying up to date on career options and new opportunities within the company that may be beneficial for the growth of those engineers.
- Reducing ambiguity in the systems they work with, including additional documentation, refactoring, and testing.
- Effectively communicate on existing systems, design decisions, past performance, and a major history of the projects that they’ve been part of for bid-writing, tech demos, and other potentially client-facing communications.
- Informing program leadership of the health of your team and contributing to evaluation of team members, written or otherwise
- Actively contributing code and performing code review on your applications as an engineer.
- Participating in technical depth interviews with new candidates
- Conducting regular 1:1 meetings and performance reviews with direct reports; providing general career development advice to team members based on their knowledge of company policy and process
- Creating opportunities for improving not just their immediate area, but similar areas in other programs across the company.
- Ensure that all systems operate smoothly and, in coordination with QA Manager, align with ISO and CMMI quality standards.
What You'll Bring
- 8 years of experience developing consumer-facing web applications, services, and APIs.
- Focus on Back End and Infrastructure Development.
- Experience with Test-Driven Development.
- Experience delivering scalable services to production.
- Experience and understanding of one or more different agile methodologies, including Scrum, XP, or SAFe.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, in particular EC2, S3, and RDS, as well as technologies for provisioning capacity on those services.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vanguard 401K Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility . The range of starting pay for this role is $101,570 - $136,994 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.