This is a remote position.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to meet the needs of our users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government. We’re looking for people with an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to improve how the government serves people. If you thrive on change and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
Work on things that matter
Working at Ad Hoc means putting your time and skills towards helping the government better serve the public. Our teams connect Veterans with services designed for their needs, help millions of people access affordable health care, and support important programs like Head Start. As we work with agencies to deliver critical services, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to bring the best people onto our teams and give them the freedom to create a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to home decor), our company culture acknowledges all the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s welcomed.
What matters most
Ad Hoc values acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We leave our egos at the door to learn from our mistakes and improve the process for the next time. We’re a team that loves the challenge of government-size projects and loves to see our customers succeed. We build small, inclusive teams to bring the best of consumer technology to the problems of government.
What you’ll do as a Managing Staff Designer
As an Ad Hoc Managing Staff Designer, you’ll focus on the direction of design within a program setting, across delivery teams. You will contribute in meaningful ways to key design work, operations, strategic initiatives, and management on your program. You will mostly be focused on providing guidance and individual career direction for your assigned team, but also sometimes be expected to individually contribute to delivery work. You will most likely work under the guidance of a Managing Principal Designer.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Managing performance, in terms of both craft and associated competencies relevant to career development, for assigned individuals within your practice. This includes supporting program managers in hiring, onboarding, and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Providing coaching and development to design team members, which includes regular 1-on-1s, defining growth goals and development plans with individuals, and creating a culture where team members can learn and evolve.
- Planning and facilitating collaboration, building strong relationships across disciplines, stakeholders, customers, and business partners.
- Delivering design work on more complex projects, including discovery artifacts, sketches and rough prototypes, wireframes, UX flows, and high fidelity prototypes
- Managing deadlines through teamwork
- Providing design critique, heuristic evaluations, and competitive analysis
- Contributing to design libraries and providing visual design and brand artifacts
- Contributing to and leading internal practice, company, and strategic initiatives. Developing recruitment strategies, interviewing candidates, and recommending staffing needs for your team.
- Creating business development materials
Some basic requirements
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance
- Some of our available roles are on federal contracts that require a degree or additional years of experience as a substitute
- Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment
- A Bachelors degree and at least 5 years of overall experience is required for this role
Tips for applying
- If your application seems like a good match, we’ll invite you to complete a quick writing assignment, which we evaluate blindly. This helps us have a greater understanding of how you approach design problems, while also reducing bias from our hiring process. We will not ask you to do any form of whiteboarding or spec work.
- Include a portfolio of 3-5 UX-focused work samples with your application. We want to understand how you think and solve problems. Clearly explain your process and the reasoning behind the decisions made, include visual artifacts, and identify both your role and the impact you had. Your portfolio can be anything from a website to a slide deck. How you build it is up to you.
Ad Hoc is a great place to be. Our benefits package includes:
- Company-subsidized health, dental, life and vision insurance
- Use what you need vacation policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year
- $2,000 continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility . The range of starting pay for this role is $101,570 - $136,994 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.