This is a remote position.
This role reports to the VP of Engineering, and involves directly managing engineering practice leads on Federal Civilian programs.
The Deputy Engineering Director is responsible for managing the engineering practice leads and the health of the engineering practice within a business unit. They also partner with the VP Engineering in helping to advance key engineering practice initiatives and the engineering organization at Ad Hoc.
Deputy Engineering Directors are responsible for ensuring the quality of the engineering practice within their business unit. They work cross-functionally within the business unit to ensure an excellent end to end customer experience, and they ensure customer value is created by the engineering practice within that business unit.
The Deputy Engineering Director will set the overarching engineering practice direction for their business unit, in accordance with the strategy outlined by the VP Engineering, by articulating a compelling vision and roadmap for how the practice should evolve in order to support Ad Hoc’s business goals and industry trends.
The Deputy Engineering Director will draw from the broader engineering organization at Ad Hoc to cultivate an effective engineering culture and practice, and they will make key account strategy contributions specifically around growth opportunities and people strategy.
The Deputy Engineering Director will also work directly with the VP Engineering on practice operations including - culture and people strategy, career ladder development and support, craft development, skills tracking, and training. They will also support business growth initiatives, both organic growth and new growth, by providing subject matter experts (SMEs) within their business unit.
This particular position will work with a variety of US federal and state agencies as well as non-profits, all of which are at varying levels of complexity and digital maturity. As a result, an entrepreneurial and system-oriented mindset is needed to work successfully across these domains to ensure that our teams can be successful and that we turn new startup programs into larger growth opportunities.
The Deputy Engineering Director is responsible for (Essential Functions):
- Articulating Ad Hoc engineering best practices and approaches within the business unit.
- Support recruitment and staffing activities for Ad Hoc’s Engineering Practice and their business unit; helping to identify and connect individuals within right opportunities given program needs, career interests, and skill sets including defining strategies for diverse hiring and promotion pipelines.
- Serve as a coach and mentor for their business unit engineering staff; proactively build organizational structures and systems for scale.
- Supporting the growth of Ad Hoc by helping to evaluate and shape growth opportunities in their business unit that are surfaced by engineering leads within the business unit, and provide engineering best practices-driven strategies that support their business units’ goals.
- Strengthen the sense of community for engineers, including venues for cross-pollination of knowledge across their business unit and Ad Hoc’s engineering practice.
- Serving as a “Manager of managers”; coaching direct reports (IC principals, manager principals, and other engineering leaders) on people management and leadership growth. Oversee career growth including hands-on coaching and mentorship as needed
- Assisting the VP of Engineering in building out a cohesive engineering organization at Ad Hoc, including helping define and drive process and policy.
- Using the Ad Hoc Engineering philosophy as their foundation, develop core approaches that guide how we deliver products for their business unit that also support the health of the engineering discipline at Ad Hoc.
- Help capture and communicate the impact of our products and our approach across a wide portfolio of programs within their business unit.
- Develop a strong partnership with business unit and growth team leadership that focuses on how this partnership supports greater delivery success and business unit growth.
- The Deputy Engineering Director will work directly with Engineering Principals and other leads to ensure that we are maximizing our value with clients and measuring the impact of the products and services our teams support.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vanguard 401K Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility . The range of starting pay for this role is $171,341 - $226,486 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.