This is a remote position.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to meet the needs of our users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government. We’re looking for people with an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to improve how the government serves people. If you thrive on change and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
Work on things that matter
Working at Ad Hoc means putting your time and skills towards helping the government better serve the public. Our teams connect Veterans with services designed for their needs, help millions of people access affordable health care, and support important programs like Head Start. As we work with agencies to deliver critical services, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to bring the best people onto our teams and give them the freedom to create a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to home decor), our company culture acknowledges all the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s welcomed.
What matters most
Ad Hoc values acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We leave our egos at the door to learn from our mistakes and improve the process for the next time. We’re a team that loves the challenge of government-size projects and loves to see our customers succeed. We build small, inclusive teams to bring the best of consumer technology to the problems of government.
What you’ll do as a Senior Designer - Mobile Design Systems
As an Ad Hoc Senior Designer - Mobile Design Systems, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team, working closely with designers, researchers, stakeholders, product managers, and software engineers. You will work on a team to iterate on a native mobile app MVP, refine and guide the design system, and ship new features. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Making user interface recommendations for native mobile applications grounded in Human Interface Guidelines, Material Design, and native mobile accessibility best practices. Experience in Human Interface Guidelines and Material Design is critical for this role.
- Working iteratively on a native mobile product with a cross-functional team
- Guiding and building a comprehensive mobile design system
- Sharing rationales for mobile design decisions with teammates and stakeholders by bringing strong communication, collaboration, and prioritization skills
- Planning and promoting mobile strategy within a program
- Delivering design work, from sketches to high fidelity prototypes
- Managing deadlines through teamwork
- Providing and receiving mentorship from other designers
- Participating in company initiatives and recruiting efforts
Some basic requirements
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance
- Some of our available roles are on federal contracts that require a degree or additional years of experience as a substitute
- Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment
Tips for applying
- If your application seems like a good match, we’ll invite you to complete a quick writing assignment, which we evaluate blindly. This helps us have a greater understanding of how you approach design problems, while also reducing bias from our hiring process. We will not ask you to do any form of whiteboarding or spec work.
- Include a portfolio of 3-5 UX-focused work samples with your application, including at least 1 native mobile app. We want to understand how you solve problems and how you design clear and usable interfaces for mobile applications. Clearly explain your process and the reasoning behind the decisions made, include visual artifacts, and identify both your role and the impact you had. Your portfolio can be anything from a website to a slide deck. How you build it is up to you.
Learn about our benefits
Our benefits package includes:
- Company-subsidized health, dental, life and vision insurance
- Use what you need vacation policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year
- Continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.