This is a remote position.
This position will be open and accepting applications until 5 PM EST on April 30, 2021.
Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
Do you believe in doing work that matters? At AdHoc, it’s one of our core values. We choose to work on things that make a difference
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to meet the needs of our users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government. We’re looking for people with an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to make things happen even in a changing, ambiguous environment. If you care about improving how the government serves people, then we want you here with us.
Work on things that matter
Working at Ad Hoc means putting your time and skills towards helping the government better serve the public. Our teams connect Veterans with services designed for their needs, help millions of people access affordable health care, and support critical programs like Head Start. As we work with agencies to deliver critical services, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide team since our inception. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to bring the best people onto our teams and gives team members the freedom to create a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to home decor), our work culture acknowledges all the things happening in your life. Tilt the videocam so we can see your pets and kids. Adjust your work schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, you’ve got the freedom to bring great ideas to life while being you.
Ad Hoc values acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We leave our egos at the door to learn from our mistakes and improve the process for the next time. We’re a team that loves the challenge of government-size projects and loves to see our customers succeed. We build small, diverse, inclusive teams to bring the best of consumer technology to the problems of government.
Ad Hoc is looking for a self-driven Senior Back End Engineer. Who enjoys addressing ambiguity and solving complex problems without technical assistance or supervision. The ideal candidate will have expert-level capabilities in at least one major technology stack. They will have designed and implemented well-structured, reliable, maintainable APIs in a complex problem domain. They will have built services that integrate with external dependencies and data sources. They are aware of and can describe how the thing they built fits into a larger ecosystem. They mentor and guide more junior engineers through the development process, including debugging and new skills acquisition. They communicate with stakeholders, other teams, and partners to generate, assess, and execute on product development or integration requirements.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- As government contractor, all hires may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter
- Some Federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment
- Some Federal contracts require a degree in computer science or additional years of experience as a substitute
- Our technical screening involves completing our homework assignments exclusively - we do not do any form of whiteboarding in our process.
- Minimum 6 years of experience developing consumer-facing web applications, services, and APIs
- Bachelor of Science in Technology or Engineering
What You'll Do
- Use Node.js, Ruby, Go or other programming languages to build scalable back-end services that gracefully integrate with legacy systems
- Build APIs that support both the digital services we deliver as well as third-party usage
- Use unit and integration testing to ensure systems meet business needs
- Ship software that impacts the lives of millions of Americans
What You'll Bring
- Proficient spelling, grammar, and communication skills
- Strong node.js experience
- Experience and understanding of one or more different agile methodologies, including Scrum, XP, or SAFe
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, in particular EC2, S3, and RDS
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship
Who We Are
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our team of experts from across commercial industry and government brings the modern skills necessary to help agencies transform public services into digital services. Our work enables agencies to meet the needs of their users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government.
We are a remote first organization and you may work anywhere within the US.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
- Continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Ad Hoc continuously sources top talent in mission critical roles like this one.