The Director, Patient Advocacy, has a strong desire to improve the lives of patients, their caregivers and families. The candidate possesses compassion, empathy and a high degree of integrity and accountability. This role serves as the face of Adamas’ to patient support groups, patient advocacy organizations and professional medical associations within the Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorder space. The candidate will be responsible for developing, implementing and leading Adamas’ patient and professional advocacy programs and strategy. This role will position the company as the preferred partner for influential global patient and professional organizations within the defined therapeutic areas and as a trusted partner for local and regional patient organizations. The role requires understanding of the mission and vision of each advocacy organization in order to develop and execute effectively working relationships with these partners. The candidate is expected to determine the best mix of organizations based on the expertise of the identified therapeutic space to best support the needs of patients, their caregivers and families as well as the corporate objectives. A thorough knowledge and understanding of the social media space, business channels and patient and consumer trends is necessary to identify opportunities, and develop innovative solutions to complex business issues, is essential. This role will be accountable to educate internal and external partners on global political and social trends affecting Neurological Disorders/ Movement Disorders/ Parkinson’s Disease and the healthcare industry. This position will report to the Chief Medical Officer and is based in Emeryville, CA.
- Lead internal point of contact to build and maintain collaborative, mutually beneficial partnerships with key patient advocacy and professional medical associations and work to prioritize the organizations with which to partner.
- Define and standardize best practices in advocacy relations. Based on a clear understanding of and empathy for the patient experience, design and create processes, systems, solutions, and tools that will contribute to the effectiveness and success of the patient advocacy plans.
- Develop overall strategy as it relates to the specific therapeutic market, with emphasis on business-defined disease states within the area. Additionally, develop tactics to support the products through effective advocacy relations, emphasizing shared goals between Adamas and priority groups which align business objectives and realities.
- Proactively and on an ongoing basis advocate Adamas’ priorities and objectives with senior leadership and opinion leaders at targeted associations with direct one-on-one meetings and participation in industry focused society boards/committees.
- Identify synergies and support opportunities that advance business objectives and the objectives of the non-profit organizations.
- Participate in product planning process and team meetings to create one-year and multiple-year operating plans related to advocacy opportunities for approved and pipeline compounds and relevant company initiatives.
- Provide ongoing support to cross functional departments including regulatory affairs, medical affairs, government affairs, commercial, managed markets and other corporate and field-based functions.
- Coordinate and collaborate on strategic and policy initiatives of mutual interest with government affairs /corporate communications.
- Participate in brand planning and product team discussions to ensure the plans account for advocacy opportunities and leverage understanding of the organization's needs.
- Serve as an internal resource and identify opportunities to maximize value of resources in current and potential patient relations programs.
- Ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures, as well as, applicable healthcare laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific or clinical discipline. Advanced degree preferred. Equivalent combination of education and applicable job experience may be considered.
- Minimum of 8 years progressive work experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry and/or a related patient focused organization.
- Minimum 5 years of direct patient advocacy experience required.
- Demonstrated leadership and collaboration skills with a proven ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse groups of people and audiences and serve as primary point of contact to foster strong, compliant, productive and value-added alliances.
- Proficiencies in relationship and network management, event planning, industry standards and regulations, with a strong awareness of emerging trends around patient-centered research and technology, patient experience, and patient-reported outcomes.
- Understanding of brand and franchise needs, including relevant scientific, medical, economic and policy-related matters related to therapeutic areas.
- Proven understanding of key trends in both internal and external environment with an impact patient and consumer engagement, specifically in areas that affect political and social norms of relevance.
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs and behaviors of patients living with or at risk for various diseases or conditions and sensitivity to diverse groups of people.
- Ability to summarize complex medical and scientific concepts using basic terms to successfully communicate to target patient/advocate audiences.
- Solid understanding of the applicable regulatory environment and industry standards.
- Proven ability to build, maintain and influence effective working relationships with key internal stakeholders, including marketing, medical affairs and corporate communications.
- Demonstrated technical, organizational, project management, negotiation and budgeting capabilities and a self-starter with excellent ability to implement and execute.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills. Adept at creating and communicating a clear vision and purpose to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to travel up to 50% domestic and internationally.
- Successful experience in fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Fit with Adamas culture and values.