ACV’s mission is to build and enable the most trusted and efficient digital marketplaces for buying and selling used vehicles with transparency and comprehensive data that was previously unimaginable. We are powered by a combination of the world’s best people and the industry’s best technology. At ACV, we are driven by an entrepreneurial spirit and rewarded with a work environment that enables each Teammate to impact the company from day one. ACV’s network of brands includes ACV Auctions, ACV Transportation and ACV Capital within its Marketplace Products as well as True360 and Data Services.
What you will do:
ACV Auctions is reinventing a $100 billion industry through an online, wholesale vehicle marketplace that provides car dealerships a more effective and transparent way of buying and selling wholesale vehicles through 20-minute auctions. Our technology modernizes the entire arc of auction operations, providing third- party inspections, account management, title and payment processing, managing arbitration and transportation. The company strives to be the most trusted source in the industry for dealers to buy and sell wholesale vehicles. The company is growing 300% year-over-year and recently completed a $150 million Series E funding round from investors such as Bessemer Venture Partners and Bain Capital Ventures.
ACV’s Machine Learning (ML) team is seeking a talented, experienced candidate to join our team as a Senior Machine Learning Engineer. Multiple ACV operations and product teams rely on the ML team’s solutions. We are scaling current CV/NLP solutions toward human-in-the-loop capabilities as well as developing new solutions where scheduling and automated assignment are critical to solve at scale. This senior role will engage multiple projects delivering another form of machine learning like CV or NLP OR delivering another ACV service with an eye towards optimizing that assignment. These are not small projects and are regularly recognized by the executive team as key differentiators making ACV disruptive in the industry.
Successful candidates will demonstrate excellent skill and maturity to lead, be self-motivated as well as team-oriented, and have the ability to support the development and implementation of end-to-end ML-enabled software solutions to meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders. Those who will excel in this role will be those who listen with an ear to the overarching goal, not just the immediate concern that started the query. They will be able to show their recommendations are contextually grounded in an understanding of the practical problem, the data, and theory as well as what product and software solutions are feasible and desirable. Understanding the business needs and how to deliver the whole solution, not just the ML algorithms, will set a candidate apart. The ML team projects are regularly scaled like startups, and this person would be leading new projects with a founder mentality.
Primacy will remain on the fundamentals of great questions, good process, competent analysis, clear communication, team wins, and focused contribution to the company’s needs. No amount of education, training, or pedigree will substitute for a willingness to work together, do whatever it takes, and deliver. For the right candidate this role could be permanently remote but preference will be given to those able to move to Buffalo. Working East Coast hours are a must.
- Combination of graduate education (MS or PhD) and academic research lab experience in Deep Learning, Machine Learning, or similar computationally intensive degree
- 2+ yrs of professional ML experience as a technical leader and major contributor on projects with other MLEs and cross-disciplinary contributors involved. Experience in running ML/DL projects from discovery to delivery is highly valued.
- 3-5+ yrs professional experience (industry or research lab) related to ML or software engineering.
- Expertise with Python (strong emphasis on keras, TF, pytorch, sklearn, opencv)
- Strong software experience with SQL, version control, APIs.
- Experience in CI/CD involved in deploying, maintaining, and monitoring ML or Data products.
- Special interest will be given to any of ML Ops, Graph-based data structures, advanced search/recommendations, scaling large scale ML production systems to marketplace-sized requirements.
- Good scripting, functional, and vectorized scientific programming skills in python.
- Good exploratory data analysis and reporting skills
What we will offer:
- Comprehensive benefits offerings for benefits eligible Teammates.
- Unique culture that truly values each and every Teammate.
- Career development and Future Growth Opportunities.
At ACV, we are committed to an inclusive culture in which every individual is welcomed and empowered to celebrate their true selves. We achieve this by fostering a work environment of acceptance and understanding that is free from discrimination. ACV is committed to being an equal opportunity employer regardless of sex, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, national origin, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, military status, status as a veteran, or any other protected characteristic We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.