Acumen Academy is looking for a Fundraising Manager with 7 - 10 years of relevant experience to join our team. We're looking for someone with a strong sales record, fundraising operations and partner engagement experience. Candidates must be located in New York or San Francisco.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders, and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services help people living in poverty to transform their lives. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 300 million lives by investing $132M in 136 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t only about capital, we’ve been investing in innovators for years, connecting with emerging leaders around the world and engaging them in collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
Acumen Academy is the world’s school for social change. We offer off and online courses on how to make social change happen. We aim to unleash a new generation of social innovators and leaders with the character and competence to build a more just, inclusive and sustainable world. We offer anyone with an internet connection, anywhere in the world, access to the practical tools, practices, resources and supportive community they need to achieve positive social change. With 900+ Fellows and over 900,000 course takers in 193 countries, the Acumen Academy community represents a new generation of social innovators and leaders committed to doing what’s right in a world that loves easy. Explore Acumen Academy
About the Role
This role will manage fundraising activities and operations for a core group of Acumen Academy donors globally. Your focus will be cultivating and closing your own relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations. You will bring new partners (donors) into our community through your own direct contacts and networking and are comfortable working toward a $500K - $750K personal fundraising goal. Additionally, as Acumen Academy’s suite of offerings expands (fellowships, accelerators, courses), you will support the development and execution of a plan for new product fundraising and content partnerships in collaboration with Acumen Academy Directors, program, and marketing team. Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
Fundraising & Partner Engagement
- Identify, cultivate and close 5-6 figure gifts (500K - 750K) while enhancing Acumen Academy’s visibility, access, and influence
- Build a broad network of individual, corporate, and institutional donors through appropriate channels including events, individual networking, and targeted outreach
- Identify and research prospects using publicly available sources, databases, information from staff and supporters.
- Develop an engagement plan for our existing partners and support relationship management for our high-value partners
- Manage partner communications and regular correspondence
- Collaborate with the communications team to create marketing materials that attract new audiences and communicate our impact with our partner community
Support New Product Fundraising and Partnership Strategy
- Work closely with Acumen Academy Director to develop a fundraising plan for new Acumen Academy products, including the value proposition for new donors and new channels for fundraising and outreach.
- Work with marketing/comms to develop new product pitch as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- 7 - 10 years of work experience in philanthropic fundraising, business development and/or relationship management
- A track record of building and maintaining strategic funding relationships. Relationships within the philanthropy and impact investing ecosystem are a plus.
- An ability to close an annual goal YOY.
- Skilled at building stewardships plans (including bespoke communications, event invites, and ensuring supporters receive the right type of touch points throughout the year)
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in building collaborative relationships with both external and internal stakeholders
- Excellent stakeholder management and project management skills
- Pipeline management: Excellent documentation in our CRM (Salesforce), tracking where prospective donors are in their journey to becoming a donor, the type of work they are interested in, the events they have been invited to, the communication they have received from Acumen.
- Effective storyteller who consistently communicates in a compelling manner
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Self reflective and aligned with Acumen values
- Permanent authorization to work in the US
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed, and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.