Acumen is looking for a Risk and Compliance Manager with 8 – 10 years of experience to join our Legal team in New York City. The focus of the work leans toward forecasting risks, entity tracking, a calendar of compliance, reporting needs, and record keeping. This role sits with our Legal department, not within our Finance department.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders, and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services help people living in poverty to transform their lives. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 309 million lives by investing $137M in 139 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t only about capital, we’ve been investing in innovators for years, connecting with emerging leaders around the world and engaging them in collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
About the role
Acumen has increasingly complex network of affiliates across 7 geographies and 30+ entities (with global and regional operations teams). This role is responsible for our adherence to the requirements of various regulations and of our funders, which is central to our integrity, sustainability and the effectiveness of our programs. Some accountabilities include:
- Implement our policy rollout and maintenance in collaboration with program and operational functions, including identifying priorities for and designing team trainings and adapting organizational practices to compliance needs.
- Roll out compliance recommendations and support compliance needs of our investment funds.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of our structure and activities such to prepare diligence questionnaires, reports, filings and registrations for our entities and activities.
- Deliver risk briefings and maintain security procedures for regional travel and other risks.
- Keep abreast of regulatory and industry developments, liaise with counsel, memorialize guidance and advise program teams accordingly.
- Monitor and investigate complaints related to our programs, including via our anti-corruption hotline.
- Continue developing a records strategy to ensure efficiency and completeness of records across Acumen entities.
- Report to the General Counsel and support general initiatives and various needs of the function.
Qualifications and skills
- 8 - 10 years’ experience, 7 in operations or paralegal roles, ideally in global organizations spanning non-profit, social enterprise, and for-profit sectors
- Excellent organization skills, project management, and stakeholder management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to independently research for answers, and demonstrated track-record of work stream ownership and recommending a path forward when faced with ambiguity
- Ability to manage and prioritize across multiple work streams, self-directed, curiosity about what it takes to make an organization function effectively
- Organization and accountability to track multiple projects simultaneously and to ask for help when needed
- Can operate with kindness
- Self-reflective and aligned with Acumen’s values
- Permanent work authorization in the US
- Nice-to-haves: Experience with non-profit and/or private equity regulations and compliance, experience with complex institutional funders.
Apply as early as possible as applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.