Acumen Latin America is looking for a Senior Associate with 4 - 6 years of experience to join our Bogota-based investing team. The right candidate is committed to using investments to tackle poverty, is creative, and can excel in a fast-paced environment. This role will report to the team’s Associate Director
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 309 million lives by investing $137M in 139 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t only about capital, we’ve been investing in innovators for years, connecting with emerging leaders around the world and engaging them in collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
About Acumen Latin America
Acumen started operations in Latin America in 2013, with a focus on Colombia and Peru. Our strategy focuses on benefiting communities that have suffered political, economic and social exclusion, with a focus on rural areas. Our relatively small team, based in Bogotá, evaluates investment opportunities in agrobusiness, education, and energy. The team finds, vetts, structures, and manages investments in companies that benefit communities facing exclusion including small-holder farmers, women, afro-descendant, and indigenous communities.
The Senior Associate will assist in sourcing and evaluating new investment opportunities (growth and return potential with an eye for big social returns and marginal financial returns), conducting due diligence on high potential opportunities, and preparing analyses to present to Investment Committee.
- Identify, cultivate, and review a pipeline of early-stage opportunities providing critical products and services to communities that have suffered political, economic and social exclusion, with a focus on rural, post-conflict areas of Colombia.
- Due diligence analysis: assumptions, financial modeling, valuation review, and structuring
- Prepare and present investments for Acumen Latin America’s Investment Committee
- Assist the team in assessing portfolio company needs post-investment; assist in designing and implementing post-investment interventions with senior team members
- Evaluate and recommend the most important metrics to measure social and financial returns
- Work with the team to:
- Analyze and document data-driven explanations for portfolio decisions
- Understand and document investment-specific insights
- Analyze metrics to identify patterns, not just any pattern… the ones that move the impact needle
- Produce written materials on lessons from our portfolio
- Channel insights into marketing and fundraising
Qualifications & Characteristics
- 4 - 6 years of experience in venture, private equity, investment banking, management consulting or investment management, including experience with financial and operational due diligence of early-stage businesses and ability to repurpose those skills toward a new end: big social impact, marginal financial returns
- Bachelor’s degree required, in industrial engineering, economics, business or related field. Masters or MBA a plus.
- Superior financial and business analysis skills… this is not an academic exercise, this is about understanding our mission, understanding the market, understanding issues at the bottom of the pyramid and adding value
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to present analysis clearly to management, partners, and investees
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish
- Proactive problem-solving skills: can identify the problem, can think through and recommend solutions or raise issues up the line
- Project and stakeholder management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects in a timely fashion independently and under pressure
- Able to analyze interventions, the consequent results, lessons learned and produce documentation
- Familiarity with the social enterprise and impact investing sectors; commitment to tackling challenges of poverty
- Self reflective and aligned with Acumen’s values
- Authorized to work in Colombia on a permanent basis
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply is September 30th, 2021.