Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Earnin is a community-supported financial platform with a suite of tools that let people take control of their financial future. Earnin started out by solving one of the greatest – and least discussed – inequities in the American financial system: the practice of employers paying workers bi-weekly. Earnin's core product, Cash Out, allows people to access the pay they've already earned. There are no loans or hidden costs. People pay what they choose. Other products include: Balance Shield, which helps prevent overdrafts, a financial calendar that helps people budget and schedule payments, and Tip Yourself - a revolutionary free social savings app.
Funding: Series C, current funding partners include Andreessen Horowitz, DST, Matrix Partners, Ribbit Capital, Felicis Ventures and March Capital.
Join us and help build a new financial system focused on fairness and people’s needs.
You can help make a difference.
About the Team:
We are looking for experienced, passionate and resourceful senior level engineers to join our backend teams based out of our headquarters in Palo Alto, California. As a senior engineer you will work cross functionally with various teams and contribute to the design and development of our backend services.
What sets us apart:
- High impact roles at a relatively small company that’s aggressively growing our user base.
- We are a collaborative team and genuinely enjoy working with each other.
- We believe in empowering our people to be successful.
- We’re building a product that inspires fairness across the financial world and helps people not get taken advantage of.
As a Senior Backend Engineer you will:
- Design & implement features robust enough for our exploding scale.
- Drive the implementation of new features - break down complex problems into its bare essentials, translate this complexity into elegant design and create high quality, maintainable code.
- Create and maintain test automation to enable continuous integration and development velocity.
- Design and implement highly reliable financial transaction systems that integrate deeply with money movement technologies (think card rails, ACH, RTP etc).
- Design & deliver thoughtfully crafted REST APIs to drive the interactions between our client applications and backend services.
- Collaborate and mentor other engineers while providing thoughtful guidance using code, design and architecture reviews.
- Work cross functionally with other teams (data science, design, product, marketing, analytics).
- Leverage a broad skill set and help us implement and learn new technologies quickly.
- Provide and receive design and implementation evaluations and improve per iteration.
- Debug production issues across our services infrastructure and multiple levels of our stack.
- Think about distributed systems & services and care passionately about producing high quality code.
Critical skills required to being a Senior Engineer:
- 7+ years of development experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor's, Master’s or PhD degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related technical discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with Kubernetes is required + additional experience using microservice architectures is a plus.
- Hands-on experience working with various databases (DynamoDB, MySql, ElasticSearch) and data pipeline technologies.
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery tools.
- Experienced in developing and executing functional and integration tests.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and you have a bias towards action and results.
Earnin does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, family care status, military or veteran status, marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws. Earnin is an E-Verify participant.