Acquia is the open source digital experience company. We provide the world's most ambitious brands with technology that allows them to embrace innovation and create customer moments that matter. At Acquia we believe in the power of community and collaboration - giving our customers the freedom to build tomorrow on their terms.
Headquartered in Boston, we have been named as one of North America’s fastest growing software companies as reported by Deloitte and Inc. Magazine, and have been rated a leader by the analyst community and named one of the Best Places to Work by the Boston Business Journal. We are Acquia. We are building for the future of the web, and we want you to be a part of it.
Overview of the role…
Acquia Cloud is looking for a hands-on Engineering Manager to lead a team of talented developers on one of our core Engineering teams. Work with your team to craft and deliver on long term roadmaps that deliver services leveraged by our valued customers to create amazing digital experiences. The right candidate has a healthy mixture of technical and people skills and love fostering happy collaborative teams.
As the Engineering Manager, you will…
- Manage co-located and distributed development teams who report directly to you
- Create processes, set and manage expectations, and hold team and self accountable
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts
- Remove impediments that block or slow down the team
- Mentor and encourage career development of all employees that report to you
- Motivated employees to achieve the business goals of the product
- Ensure that the right roles are filled by the right people
- Work with senior management and product management on developing schedules, backlog grooming and planning
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Both a highly technical, sometimes hands-on coder and effective people manager
- Passionate about people more than technology
- Uncompromising in their focus on excellence
- Customer first attitude
- Biased towards iterative delivery and practical solutions
- Inquisitive and has a knack for seeking out truth
- More likely to set expectations in writing as opposed to verbally
- Technically proficient enough to earn the respect of a senior development team
- An educator as opposed to an orator
What you’ll need to be successful…
- Proven leadership skills, working with software engineering teams in an Agile environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to work well cross-functionally on a personal level with upper management and individual team members
- Experience navigating teams through adverse situations, either successfully or unsuccessfully
- Proven ability to establish clear priorities and execute strategies in a fast-paced environment
- Experience developing and leading high performing teams
- A passion for building scalable high performance cloud based software
- Well versed understanding of modern development techniques and automated testing strategies
- Experience in core languages used
Extra credit if you have…
- UX development experience:
- Considerable understanding of HTML5, CSS3, and SASS
- Experience with testing tools such as Jasmine and Karma
We are committed to continually strengthening our people-first culture within our Acquia family. Acquia is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment for all. Our highly motivated team features individuals from a multitude of backgrounds who offer their unique perspectives, starting with their first project as a new hire to their 100th as a manager and beyond. For every step in between, we help Acquians grow by promoting a culture of continuous learning through mentorship, knowledge-sharing, feedback, and more.
Thank you for considering Acquia for your next career move, and we look forward to receiving your application. There’s no such thing as the perfect candidate. So, we’re not looking for someone who matches all of our criteria; we’re looking for someone with the potential to grow outward and upward. Regardless of how much of the criteria you meet, you should apply!
Acquia is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. We hire without regard to age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.